Algae HELP

Cody010493

Reefing newb
i have this redish stringy algae growing everywhere in my fluval 600 stuido 33 gallon tank. i just added a 10 gal. sump tank to it and included chaeto, pencil cap and another thing to help lower some nitrites etc. but need help identifying what this algae is how it got here and how to get rid of it any help please thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0327[1].jpg
    IMG_0327[1].jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 633
  • IMG_0325[1].jpg
    IMG_0325[1].jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_0324[1].jpg
    IMG_0324[1].jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 417
Looks like cyanobacteria. What type of water are you using? What are your parameters reading, especially nitrates and phosphates? You should always have zero ammonia and nitrites unless you're cycling. Do you have enough flow in your tank? All things to look at when dealing with cyano.

all levels are perfect. no phosphates etc. i have put in a chemipure elite just as a precaution but idk why it growing like this my water i have is from live well and even from facet it doesn't read any bad parm. why would it be growing?

If you aren't using RODI, you probably do have low levels of nitrates and phosphates getting into the system along with who knows what else. Sometimes the tests show a false reading of zero because they are being ingested by the cyano and algae as soon as they hit the system.
My readings are also zero, but I know that is false because I am growing some hair algae.

Over feeding, lack of flow, phosphates are big contributors. It is getting it's fuel from somewhere. Usually, it will grow in a dead area in your tank.

all levels are perfect. no phosphates etc. i have put in a chemipure elite just as a precaution but idk why it growing like this my water i have is from live well and even from facet it doesn't read any bad parm. why would it be growing?

Your Phosphates and Nitrates are not zero. If they were, you wouldn't have a tank full of cyano. The Cyano is giving you a false zero on your tests because they have bound all the nutrients up and are using them to grow

Cynao comes down to a nutrient export problem, you're putting more into your system (livestock, feeding, source water, etc) than you are taking out (water changes, chaeto, phosphate/nitrate removal media)

By exporting more than you're importing, the algae won't be able to grow.

We'll need a lot more information on your setup to provide recommendations, livestock that you have, how often you feed (and what you feed), amount of live rock, amount of flow in the tank etc. You cannot possibly be too detailed. The more you give us, the more we'll be able to give back in the way of recommendations

I believe you are seeing this problem because you are getting your water from a well. Nutrients from fertilizer and other sources can leach into well water. It might not be enough for our test kits to register, but it can be enough that it will fuel an algae outbreak.

I would look into a 4 or 5 stage RO/DI unit and start using that to do your water changes.

Back