Algae in the Sump

andysgirl8800

Blenny Badlands
So...during my cleanings, I'm trying to figure out what to do about my sump. Currently, it has a miserable clump of Chaeto, 4" DSB, live rock rubble, and 2 hermits.

I tried unsuccessfully to grow the Chaeto in the sump, but it never looked as green as I've seen in other tanks. It just kept getting bogged down by red slime and hair algae. I kept trimming it, and rinsing it in clean SW, but it never ever improved, and it never ever grew any. I changed out the lights to something more resembling true sunlight, but still nada.

At the moment, it looks disgusting, with red slime coating everything, diatoms in the sand, hair algae on the glass, and (I think) dinos. Gratefully, this is all in the sump, and not in the DT. However, I am concerned that as the water passes through my sump, it is taking some of the undesireables back into the DT.

IMG_1510.jpg

:question: Question is...should I do anything about it, or just leave it? Should I worry about the dinos affecting my DT water quality?

Currently, I am struggling to lower the Nitrates below the 20 PPM it's been measuring over the last 2 months. I am still trying to remove the hair algae from the DT with the DIY algae scrubber I built. I seem to have a healthy population of pods, spaghetti worms, bristle worms, and baby brittle stars in my sump. Any thoughts? TIA

Thanks for the reassurance Yote. I have at least noticed that the stuff in the DT has morphed from a brownish-green scum that covered every surface.....

000_0100.jpg

...to a dark green mat that only graces a handful of rocks.

IMG_1511-1.jpg

I am interpreting this as an indication that nutrients in the water column have decreased drastically and now the algae is leeching it out of certain rocks. I guess the scrubber is helping!

Back