Algae

Justin101

Reefing newb
What algae is good, best, or the worst. I got green purple, and a little red. I had some black because my puffer died and i couldnt find him then i found him in the sand, and quikly did water change, and other essential measures. sorry i havnt posted pics yet chris been working 12 hour days. will be up soon, I just wanted to know? kind of curious.

Plants, including algae respire in darkness and photosynthesize in light. As light intensity increases, photosynthesis and the production of oxygen also increase. So different levels of light intensity effect what types of algae form and grow. There are four major groups of algae. (Cyanophyta), the blue-green algae which I guess is actually a bacteria rather than an algae, (Chlorophyta) green algae, (Phaeophyta) brown algae and (Rhodophypta) red algae. I believe the green algae which requires a higher light intensity and is more common in a reef tank is more beneficial than the brown which requires a lower light intensity, And I think the red requires even a lower light intensity. As for the purple I have no idea. Maybe part of the Cyanophyta group and might acutally be a bacteria, not sure. Ph, salinity, nutrients etc. probably have some effect on what type of algae grow also.
This is just what I have read from books and what not, still learning myself.
I have Mostly green with a little brown in my tank. Just noticed about a week ago a small dime size purple growth on a piece of live rock. John will probably reply with some better info.

Last edited:
Check out the salt water aquarium article forum. I will be posting a series of articles on algae. The 1st post will be available later this evening and more will follow. Be patient and keep an eye on the new articles. Most all of your questions will be answered. Since the subject of algae is so vast, a simple asked question is not so simply answered, so, with a series of articles I would hope to provide a basis of understanding to those that are interested of some of the most important aspects of algae and the marine aquarium. Thanks for your patients.

Hi, Without going too deep, I find it's a balance between light intensity, and water qaulity [ phos & nitrate especialy ]. You can control it by scraping it off, or using water/light control, but to do this you have to have reasionable knowledge of aqautic's and this comes from iether experience or technical or both. Iether way, talking on this site will enhance your knowledge and put you in a better position to have a successful tank. Regards.

Mine is starting to get better in the 10g frag tank.

I did a 6g water change last Sunday.
Filled the Rapids canister filter with activated carbon and slapped it on the tank.
Changed 3g on Tuesday and changed the carbon in the canister and rinsed the whole thing in fresh water.
Changed 3g on Thursday and changed out the carbon and rinsed the canister again.
Just finished changing 3g about 5 minutes ago - Friday

I've been running the lights for only 2hrs a day. Corals look okay. Tank looks HORRIBLE but the algae is disappearing. All the algae has turned from a bright green to a very dull green, almost white color. I'm sucking out loose and floating algae with each water change. Skimming wet and heavy. Not toping off since I am changing water every 2 days.

I still have a long way to go. I don't know if my corals can take this. They all appear fine, just a little light starved. I'm going to continue with my routine and see if I can completely eliminate the algae in the frag tank. It's costing me a ton in salt mix, but I don't see another way out of this mess without starving the algae until it rots and then removing the water .

Fingers crossed.

Hi, I think everything gets behind before we realize it, so much has been found out so qiuckl. But back to your algal problem, just carry on with reduced lighting periods, or totaly black your tank out [ but no longer than say 5-6days or your corals may suffer.] On the otherhand, depending on whether your tank is pure reef or fish and reef, [which I suspect it is ] a bit of algae is good, some types of halmeidia look very nice, and do an excellent job of nitrate reduction. I hope this helps. Regards.

Back