algea scrubber VS. Refugium

benry

Reefing newb
Hey guys im setting up a new tank and i have designed my sump so that i can easily use the center portion as a refugium or build an algea scrubber into it. My first question is would it be ok the make the scrubber run right into the fuge and have both?? after hours on end of staring at this computer screen i cant seem to find out if one stands out as 'better'. In your experiences which would you choose and why?

You can't really do that. Scrubber require lot of water flow through the screen while refugium require calmer water for the pods to live in and make babies. When they water is too fast in there, they get flush away into the DT and got eaten.

Refugium is easy to keep a good culture of pods while algae scrubber is a very very very good nutrient export. I have a heavy load system so I would choose algae scrubber. However, you'll have to clean the screen every week.

With a refugium, it's good for light load system. Almost no work need to be done. Just need to throw out the macro algae when they take up all the room in the fuge.

thanks. any since the refugium requires a low flow i would want my excess flow to go back to the first section of my sump?

Back