All dry rock

moncapitane

Reefing newb
Is there actually a way to use all dry rock and get it to live rock without any live rock? Someone said it is possible but didn't explain anything about it when I was talking to a few people at a get together. I understand it is going to take longer to do this but I would rather start with a totally clean tank rather than have the possibility to have unwelcome visitors using live rock from someone or somewhere. Any help would be awesome.

I believe it is possible because the bacteria is what makes it live. It will just take a Hell of a long time. I would sugest if that is your plan to have all dry rock and get one or two decent pieces of live rock.. some that you trust are good enough for your tank to speed up the process. The bacteria from the LR will spread to the DR and in time all rock will be live....

However the only reason I like live rock is because of the hitch hikers.. you never know what your gonna get.. its the luck of the draw. If I had only gotten DR then I wouldn't have all thos little snails and worms and stars that are benificial to my clean up crew... Plus sometimes you get really luck and it comes with coral or crabs... But its up to you.... If you are gonna stay with dry rock I really sugest some pieces of live rock to seed the rest

problem is, I don't trust any live rock. someone said something about some sort of additive to create the bacteria or adding a piece of shrimp from the grocery store. not sure and would love more input.

If you don't trust any live rock, then you are missing out on some awesome tank critters! There are a few negative hitch hikers that you risk getting, yes -- but they are normally easy to identify and get rid of. But 95% of hitch hikers that people get are awesome, cool, and would never get in your tank if it wasn't for hitch hiking in on live rock.

You can seed dry rock from live sand. I think if you set up your tank with live sand and you use bacterial additives, you can do all dry rock and the rock will become live over time, just like if you seeded it with a piece of live rock.

I cycled my 125g with all dry base rock. Just fed my tank some mysis.

How long did it take to cycle? I have heard with just dry rock, it can take 2-3 months. Also, Not specifically for you but how long is live sand "live". I have had the bags for a while and not sure how that works. Does it just mean it has the ability to be live?

There is usually an expiration date on those bags of live sand.

Although, they will likely still be good for sometime after that. There's just going to be a whole lot of die off.

Imo I would take that chance with the live rock and you'll see all the awesome little critters u get out of it. Yes you would come back here many many MANY TIMES asking if this is good or should I keep it but hey that's what we are all here for. To help and inform. I say if u get all dry ur going to miss out on a BIG part of your tank.

I subscribe to a link for Mr. Saltwatertank, and he recently did a 265 build with all dry rock using Dr Tims One and Only. It looks like it works from his posts very quickly versus cycling with live rock, but as I personally have never used it, I can only speak on what I have read.

Going by my build thread, I started the cycle around the first week of November, ammonia appeared on Nov 12, nitrites on Nov 20th, and Dec 12th cycle was over. So around 5 or 6 weeks to cycle. I did no water changes, and all I did was toss in maybe a cube of frozen mysis. I don't remember, but I might have tossed in a cup of live sand from my then-existing 45g. But definitely all base rock.

While yes, it is faster to cycle w/ live rock and live sand, it's not the only option. And I can't even point out my base rock vs my diy garf rock vs my original live rock.

Back