Am I ready for fish?

2fastlx

Reefing newb
Before I ask this, I am just going to say that I have read several threads here of the same subject, but the nitrates are throwing me off. My tank levels are as follows: specific gravity = 1.025, ph = 8.0, ammonia = 0, nitrite = 0, nitrates = 5. I watched the ammonia go from .50 to .25 and now to 0ppm. Tank (46gal) has been up and running with 80lbs live sand and 40lbs live rock for one week. Live rock came direct from miami to my tank so there was no "die-off" during shipping or what not. The nitrate reading had been around 10 through the week and is now at 5. Some articles state that nitrates should be zero, and others state just "low" after cycling. Can anyone give me an idea of what I should do now? I am not talking about adding fish today, but possibly next week.

Thanks,
John

It's possible that you had a short cycle as you stated. Nitrates of 5 are fine. You would like to get them to 0, but in some systems that's just not possible.

As a general rule it can take 4-6 weeks for a full cycle, but it is possible to have a short cycle. Where did you get your rock and sand from that there was no very little or no die off?

Did you ever see Nitrites go up? Did you make an attempt to kickstart your cycle by adding a piece of raw shrimp or anything?

I would still err on the side of caution and continue to monitor the water for another week. Rather be safe than sorry.

i agree with PRC any time the rock is out of the water things start to die. gost feed the tank a couple times in a week and test the water a day or two after to see what happens. if it were my tank i would wait at least another week than do a water change and you should be good to go. then add one fish at a time about once every 2-3 weeks unless you get a pair of something

The live rock was purchased from a place in Miami, its an hour from my house so I didnt need to have it shipped. I did put a small piece of shrimp in there last week. Nitrites have followed right with ammonia. .50 to .25 and now 0. How is my pH. Ive read that 8.2-8.4 is ideal but Im at 8.0.

I think your water looks good. Nitrates at 5 is nearly perfect. I say you're ready for fish.

Sweet:bounce: It will be about a week before I get to add any so maybe nitrates will be 0 by then. Should I add any cleaners before hand, and how many would be required for a 46gal?

Nitrates usually won't go down on their own, unless you have a skimmer or algae using it up. Water changes will lower them, though. I wouldn't add cleaners until you add the fish, unless you are currently seeing algae. If you add them too early, they'll starve.

Nitrates usually won't go down on their own, unless you have a skimmer or algae using it up. Water changes will lower them, though. I wouldn't add cleaners until you add the fish, unless you are currently seeing algae. If you add them too early, they'll starve.

Thanks Biff:bowdown: I do have a skimmer so we'll see what happens. Hopefully Ill be posting next week with some new fish!

Cool! Have you thought about what you want to add first?

Well I would love to find a juvenile rock beauty but they arent easy to come by. Juvenile queens, frenches and grays are everywhere so probably one or two of those. Having a french and a queen together always gave the tank tons of color. I have been looking for a smaller banded coral shrimp too, but so far have found only large ones. The large ones tend to be too aggressive so Ill hold off till I find a little guy. There are lots of peppermint shrimp around here too, how do they do in tanks? Depending on how things work out I would like to have a neon goby in there at some point and maybe a jacknife fish if I can find one. I love the royal grammas too, but Ill have to go to the bahamas again for one of those as they dont live here.

Back