Amba's Dream Tank

Vary nice Amba cant wait to see the tank in place and all the new gear going to work :D

Hehe thanks me either!

More new things today, picked up 110lb of reefcrystal today, and plumbed my eshopps overflow as well. I also got the sump ready to go (30g long tank with baffles/live rock rubble chamber etc) and did a leak test on the glass baffles I installed. The final BRS order should be here before Monday at the latest. I'll post pics when I get home of the new goodies.

Pictures, as promised.

One of my reef crystal buckets, waiting on the second bucket as I might not need two. Also pictures of the sump I built. 30 gallons long, broken down as:

First Chamber - Water hits, breaks large bubbles, slows down water significantly.

Second Chamber - Live Rock Rubble/Mineral Mud

Two Sideways Baffles - One contains bioballs, and I custom built a filter pad out of egg crate and green padding to remove any leftover particles.

Return Chamber - Water passes under the sponge, and into the large return chamber where the return pump is located.

I designed it this way to sloooooow down the water movement through the sump, there should be not a single microbubble entering the display tank. I know most people hate bioballs, but I've had good luck with them. As long as they are cleaned (I have roughly ~1000 bioballs, I just take the 200 or so out and dump clean ones in) they work nicely. Here's some pictures.

byuCU.jpg

gC0jH.jpg

a1Git.jpg

I am no expert on sumps but I have a couple of questions or observations. Why the bio balls? Long term everything I see says will be a nitrate factory. Same with the sponge. Also I always thought that the refugium was a good place for pods to grow. The sponge will keep them from going through the return pump and into the tank where your fish and corals will love them. Natural food for your stock. :twocents: I love everything that you have been doing just something to consider.

I am no expert on sumps but I have a couple of questions or observations. Why the bio balls? Long term everything I see says will be a nitrate factory. Same with the sponge. Also I always thought that the refugium was a good place for pods to grow. The sponge will keep them from going through the return pump and into the tank where your fish and corals will love them. Natural food for your stock. :twocents: I love everything that you have been doing just something to consider.

Bio balls ARE a nitrate factory IF you don't clean them. IF you clean them they are a useful tool, they both slow down water movement, have large surface area for beneficial bacteria, and can reduce nitrites. A lot of people don't go through the hassle, but like I said, I like to use them, and I have 0 nitrites in my 29g. The sponge follows the same rules, it's useful to keep debris from plugging the pump, and if taken out and rinsed once in a while it does no harm. Thirdly, if you look closely I designed the tank to leave 2" clearance for the sponge; any debris left after the bio balls will be trapped by the sponge, but moving critters can easily go through the egg crate and enter the main system.

No problem, I'm sure there are tons of things I haven't thought of, even with all the planning. I like to be critiqued on what I do, it's the only way to improve :Cheers:

I couldn't help myself....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2e4jxJiLFE&list=UUA3yFaDkstsC4WeSpMTM6Hg&index=1&feature=plcp]Sump Leak Test - YouTube[/ame]

great build thread. too often we don't get enough updates. i'm a huge photo posting whore and enjoy all the photos and even video you've posted. looks like a solid start!

eager to see this go!

great build thread. too often we don't get enough updates. i'm a huge photo posting whore and enjoy all the photos and even video you've posted. looks like a solid start!

eager to see this go!

Thanks a lot! I tend to do a little bit on the project each day because I have limited time, so I usually just update what I did that day. I'm glad you like the thread, hopefully you like it even more next week when the tank is here! :Cheers:

Thought I'd update a bit and elaborate on how the actual system will be set up. The display tank will be utilizing two acrylic overflows. One overflow will go to my chambered sump which will house all my equipment. The other overflow will drain into a custom refugium. The sump will have a return to the main tank and the return from the fuge will run into a location in the sump such that it is beyond the skimmer and other filtration so the small critters can make it back to the display. I will be using a power compact fixture on the fuge and a regular shop light on the sump. This way I can have the added benefit of using a refugium while having it make sense (a 5-10g fuge on a 100+ gallon system is useless). Also I know that not all the water enters the skimmer as it passes, but I am running a lot of reactors on this build also. There wouldn't be enough room and the poor things would get obliterated by my filtration. I will also have larger water volume, and when all the dosers turn on they won't destroy the fuge with bursts of chemicals. Another benefit is that anything I dose will be after the skimmer, into a large chamber of water. I now have both overflows plumbed. I can use the extra space to house new fish, so they can get used to the water before their neighbors! I just have to decide what I want to put the fuge on, no way is there room under the stand, I was thinking of stealing Dennis' cinder blocks idea. Looking for suggestions!

Just thought I'd take a couple photos of my current tank; these are the guys that are coming along to the big tank. I caught that hermit red handed eating a snail!

aj2bm.jpg

KZfqP.jpg

Got my second overflow in and plumbed, trying to get as much done before Monday as I can. Also another pic of where the tank is going. You can see some goodies on the rack.

Yhohu.jpg

poHwW.jpg

It's officially Sunday now, which means I get to pick up my tank in 32 hours! Monday morning I'll be getting my tank and stand, and setting up the whole system. Super excited, going to be a busy day.

:bounce:

Back