Ammonia Level help

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Ok so my tank is 76 Degrees - PH is 8.2 - Amonia Reading was .5PPM on the color chart.

I just am about 28 hours into my rock installation. I was told I would have about 4 days before I would need to check but I have all my stuff going and wanted to check.

Looking at my charts with a PH of 8.2 and temp of 76 I am sitting at about an 8.1% toxic ammonia so i then calculated it by doing the 1 x 8.1/100 = .08ppm

I am not sure if I calculated this correctly and I am double not sure if I should be changing any water.

Water is clear as a bell and life is all over the tank, huge porcelain crab and plenty snails and lots of things poking their tentacle out of the little volcanos on the rock.

TBS rocks

It sounds like the tank may be starting a cycle. Just keep measuring it.

The ammonia will go up, when it goes down, the nitrites will go up, when they go down, the nitrates will go up, when they go down, you're ready for fish.

I've never purchased from TBS, but they've got a great reputation. You may just have a small "mini-cycle" that might only take a few days to a week. Or you could have a full cycle that could take anywhere between 4-6 weeks.

Main thing here is to be patient. Test the water with your test kits. When the water is ready, add a fish.

When you've got a new tank, you don't want to just throw 5 fish in at once. It's too much for the bacteria in the tank to handle. Add 1 at a time, allowing a month in between.

Saltwater fish have long life expectancies....don't rush it, you'll have them for years if done correctly.

Well I am just not sure if I am calculating the ammonia level right. Are those numbers right according to the info I gave?

It says on their site to stay at 1.0 or less so like if it was 1.25 change 1/4 of the water to veto 1

I am getting a .08 but am not 100% I am correct so using the info I gave does anyone know f I am right.

If I am then I must be .92 away from the 1.0 I am trying not to go over.

I know I want 0 but not to stay over 1 during the cycle.

Yes I did just put 80 pounds of live sand and 80 pounds of dry rock and 40 pounds of live in my tank yesterday. I always read of people wanting caves and holes but I seriously have a lot of caves and places the fish can swim front to back and hide for days. Very loose fitting rocks with tons of craters and tons of places. I have not seen this look on another tank. I thought of tightening up the rock but it is so cool.

I have crabs and snails and another 40 pounds of live coming next week.

I don't understand what you're calculating, if your tests say that it's .5 ppm then you're at .5 ppm.

There shouldn't be any calculations for ammonia...just read the chart..

As far as rocks go...You want them secure. You'll be very surprised what snails and fish can move. Fish and snails also dig into the sand, they can dislodge the rocks, and they can fall right through the glass of the tank..Somebody on here has pics of it.

Make sure the rocks are very secure.

Well my ammonia test is like this.
Directions for Ammonia Test Lab
  1. Check and write down pH and temperature of the aquarium water you wish to test.
  2. Fill a clean test tube with 3 ml of water to be tested (to the 3 ml line on the tube).
  3. Rapidly add 11 drops of Ammonia Reagent A. Immediately close the test tube with the stopper and shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
  4. Open the test tube and add 4 drops of Ammonia Reagent B. Close it with the stopper and shake gently for 10 seconds.
  5. Open the test tube and add 4 drops of Ammonia Reagent C. Close it with the stopper and shake gently for 10 seconds.
  6. Wait 15 minutes for the color to fully develop.
  7. Compare the color with the color scale by holding the test tube in a vertical position, 8" from a white background.
  8. Read off the ppm value of the color that is closest to the sample in the test tube. This is a measure of the total dissolved ammonia level.
  9. Use the table on the directions that come with the test kit to calculate the level of toxic ammonia. For marine aquariums, and reading of 0.25 ppm of total ammonia indicates a toxic level.
  10. Rinse the test tube with clean water after each use.
So when I use the chart I get a toxic level number so I thought from what I read it calculates the amount of water I need to lower it. That is how it reads.

Hmmm ok well I will test it in the morning and just go by the card until I can figure out what this toxic level means and why they have you calculate it.

My TBS rocks came with corals and so many bumps with things that pop in and out and crabs that I don't want to kill it. I mean I sit there and it is so awesome to see the snails and who knows what popping in and out.

Res Sea Test Kit with the 5 tests. I am pretty sure BL1 is right but this test lets you chart the toxic amount of ammonia based on your PH and Temp I guess.

I will just go by the regular reading and be safe.

I would rather change it and be safe but not yet maybe in a day or so.

See for me the Tampa Bay Slatwater rock was not sent to me I got it and put it in my tank within a few hours and it was submerged in water that was in a bag that was in another bag filled with water so I think my cycle and spike will be small.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think when people talk about ammonia, it means the total ppm, not the toxic level.

Back