An interesting idea/read

I hope that those in this hobby who can afford to make the investment, spend the time, develop the technology, and do the work will seriously consider this. Preventative maintenance is always a great idea, but rarely is it practiced well.
Thanks for the great article and picts of some amazing fish!

I read this a while back, its an interesting article. The sad part is that legislators in Hawaii are not taking the right approach to this, and banning fish collection for the ornamental fish trade will not solve any problems - and in the end when the destructive habits of humans kill off the fish anyway it will be the same aquarists they are currently villifying that could potentially release captive bred fish back onto the reefs to reseed them

I think if I'm successful in breeding the Bangaii cardinals, I may try my hand at a couple of the endemic Hawaiian cardinals, and perhaps some of those dwarf angels, although I imagine they are MUCH harder than the cards to keep up with.....

There are two big issues with the angels they have listed. One they are super hard to get used to tank life, they just dont adjust very well. Secondly, there really isnt much success with raising the fry from the very few breeding pairs out there. I dont want to discourage you, but I would suggest trying your hand at clowns fish, seahorses etc before trying dwarf angels.

No worries, Hannah. I plan on trying cards, clowns, dottybacks, and some of the more common dwarf angels well before trying my hand at any expert-only fish. Right now I'm just starting out, and it's still in the planning phase anyway. I'm going to work my way up starting with the easy ones first. If/when I have success with the Bangaii, then I will try another cardinal type. If I have success with a few types of cardinals, I will try clowns. If successful with a couple types of clowns, then I will try with the dottybacks. And so on and so forth. This is more an experiment for me and an opportunity to provide tank-bred specimens in our area than anything else. I'm not looking to be the next Noah just yet! But if I get good at it, then I may just give it a try. After all, there might just be a niche market for tank-bred potter's angels!

If you get a regular dwarf angel to breed and raise the fry that will be a major accomplishment. But if you are serious about this, i would check out the marine breeders initiative

MBI Forums

Back