And We're Live! Buddys 75g Setup

got new stuff today! made a road trip to pensacola florida and stopped by a few reef places. Was quite the adventure and i must say, if any of you are within driving distance, you should check out aquaworld! was very pleased with everything they had and was astonished to see the condition of their tanks and equipment. everything was tidy and neat and clean is an understatement. anywho, out of their 10$ frag tanks and 11$ mushroom frag tanks, i managed to snag 1 neon orange mushroom, 1 purple mushroom, 1 crimson outer ring colored mushroom with a neon green mouth/ white center and also 1 crimson and white spotted mushroom. i also snagged a pair of 2x ocellaris clowns (orange) and luckily barney hasn't picked on them. i will update with pictures soon. Hopefully the mushrooms will attach to the rocks i placed them on within the next day or so. i turned one powerhead off and aimed the other one away from the corals to prevent blowing them off the rocks. i'm really trying to prevent having to strap them down with netting and rubberbands. Will my birdnest frag and acro frag be alright with less water flow for the time being?

Last edited:
will take some this evening when i return from work, i think 1 mushroom is already attached itself, the other 3 are having trouble staying in position thanks to my hermits and cleaner shrimp. ive been feeding my cleaner shrimp by hand and now everytime i reach into the tank, hes curious to see what i have in my hand... in this case, it was the neon orange mushroom and he constantly insist on helping me "position it" and im sure throws in his opinion "i think it'll look better over here" so he proceeds to move it on his on making me have to reset it. (wow what a run-on sentence) lmao!

pictures as promised!

this is the neon mushroom, although it looks more red with my camera, its neon orange in person:
DSC01201.jpg

crimson with white dots:
DSC01202.jpg

purple:
DSC01203.jpg

hard to get a picture of this one because its so far back in the tank and my camera wouldnt focus zoomed in but heres the crimson one with the white inner ring and green mouth:
DSC01204.jpg

and the clownfish! theyre kind of shy when im near the tank, im sure that will change as it did with my other fish:
DSC01205.jpg

DSC01206.jpg

and big bird had to be a child and ruin the photo (thats his bunny ears):
DSC01207.jpg

fish: 1x yellow tang, 1x coral beauty, 2x ocellaris clowns, 1x cleaner shrimp, 1x brittle star

corals: a few zoas, purple death, green nuke, candy canes, duncan, hammer, frogspawn, green star polyps, green button polyps, chalice, acro, birdsnest, and a few mushrooms

For fish, what about some sort of wrasse? I personally love the 6 lines, but mystery wrasses are also very cool. There are also some that can be kept in harems that are very neat, such as the carpenter flasher wrasse.

I would see what other cool zoa morphs you can find, there are also some amazing looking ricordias out there. plate corals are nice looking lps corals, as are meteor showers. you could also look for torch corals or bubble corals.

check out this place for cool stuff:
Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums

ive been looking at live aquaria some, and mr coral, blue zoo and a few other places but its so hard making up my mind and a lot of times im affraid to buy something online to find out it may look brown in my tank under my lights

I would not suggest them for a newer tank unless you can dedicate several feedings a day to them. They have a super high metabolism, and require a ton of food. In a more mature tank there is lots for them to find and munch on during the day, in a newer tank you have to make up for that. If you can do the extra feedings, then by all means go for it. They do best in a harem of 1 male and a couple of females. Its best to buy them in a group that way and introduce them all at once.

what about a trigger fish? it sounds like a bad idea...but i thought id ask to reassure myself

I've seen some of the smaller kinds of triggerfish in 75 gallon tanks, so if your planning on upgrading in a couple of years then you can get a young blue jaw or something. I just wish my tank was 15 gallons bigger...:grumble:

No, there is no "small trigger fish". The babies need the 100+ tanks, and IMO the adults needs tanks in the 225 region. I think you can get away with an adult of the reef safe one in a 125, but i think the are most happy in the larger tanks. Personally, i like to to think of it as they need 6+ feet of swimming space like the tangs (yellow being the exception).

I would never ever recommend any size trigger in a smaller tank. And they make it perfectly clear they dont like the smaller tank by becoming super aggressive and they look pretty stressed out too.

No, there is no "small trigger fish". The babies need the 100+ tanks, and IMO the adults needs tanks in the 225 region. I think you can get away with an adult of the reef safe one in a 125, but i think the are most happy in the larger tanks. Personally, i like to to think of it as they need 6+ feet of swimming space like the tangs (yellow being the exception).

I would never ever recommend any size trigger in a smaller tank. And they make it perfectly clear they dont like the smaller tank by becoming super aggressive and they look pretty stressed out too.

Oh, well 125 gallons is 6' feet, right?

Back