And We're Live! Buddys 75g Setup

Lol. Got some nice looking pieces there. Love the athenia mini school (sp). I always wanted a pair, noce color on them. Also love those acans.

Sweet pick up on the mp40's. still need a battery back up myself for my mo10's

I ordered it from a local reefer who has his wholesale business license so he can get stuff pretty cheap. I want to say his sources are out of Miami but not 100%, I will find out.

Okay so my lady deleted the photos of the tank the other night for when the power was out so I wont be able to upload those... But I can describe the scenario for those that care. Situation, power outage... interrupted my gold rush show at that. Called the power company and reported it; they then proceed to tell me an car accident took out 4 poles and the projected time for it to be back would be 5:30 in the morning... it was currently 10. Unfortunately the mp40's aren't in yet; expecting them this week. So with that being said, I knew the tank needed some type of water movement to ensure there would be no losses. I took it upon myself to: jump the curb, pull the jeep to the front door, run an extension chord through a window and hooked it up to a power converter for a tv in the jeep itself. Therefore, the powerheads had power and water had movement. The pictures did way more justice; the neighbors were probably flipping their lid with me all parked on the lawn and such but desperate times call for desperate measures... Now if only I could fix the trench marks I made in the yard in the process; we'd be in shape.

Last edited:
LOL that was a great idea!!!!! Screw the neighbors you had a tank to save. You my friend rock...:bowdown:

Quick little update while Im here, tank is doing great! Have both mp40's running on the 75g with the long pulse setting opposite of each other. I have them at about 60% power which is roughly 1800gph at a given time. I normally have been running 3200 total with the old powerheads but these things are powerful as most of you know and have a broader directional flow so my sps corals are getting the flow they need as they are in the path of flow of both pumps and the lps and softies are getting "enough" for now.. If I ran them both at the same time my poor fish would be tossed around like a single wide in a tornado... With that being said, I have put in a request for the new tank; currently waiting on a quote from miracle aquariums. The tank will be 60x30x24 and consist of 3 starphire panes on the front and sides.

Will update again tomorrow with a photo or video of the vortechs in action and hopefully have a tank ordered! :bounce:

Little update; struggling with STN on the batch of frags I got from ebay member coralfarmer (mr coral).Out of the 10 frags, 9 are pretty much goners. I should have removed the first one that showed signs of it but I gave it a dip and put it back in. Its plague has spread to the remaining frags on the wrack which were also close enough to a softball size milli colony that began to bleach. I chopped that colony up into frags to try and salvage it; but no luck. To be honest, this happened with the last batch of frags I ordered from him last year and needless to say, will never do business with him again because something doesnt add up; my other sps frags introduced at the same time are doing great. Cant pin point the exact cause but it seems to be viral and spread to vulnerable corals around it. Easily $400 lost. As for everything else; its in check. Water parameters are spot on:

1.026 specific gravity
8.0ph
440 calcium
10dkh alk
1360 mag
5ppm nitrates
0 phosphates (that my kit will detect)

Side note, I may start using the bio pellet reactor again; I am starting to see some signs of algae growing here and there besides the usual film on the glass

tank is coming back around,bio pellet reactor is as usual doing its job and signs of algae are dispersing. will update with a photo tomorrow... the good, bad, and ugly.

side note: ROLL TIDE!

Back