Andrews build thread:)

Explicit

Reefing newb
Hey everyone,

So today is the day! Whoohoo! Picking up the misses after work and going straight the the LFS to grab all the hardware I need. I'm going with:

30 gallon aquarium and stand ( of course)
Ebo Jäger heater 150 watts
2 Koralia 2 power heads
A hob filter that will be running filter floss changed once a week.
And the biggest purchase some HO LEDs

Tomorrow I'll go get the LR sand and salt and water. Oh yeah I'm thinking of going with a deeper sand band to assist in the biological process, yes or no

Hopefully I'll get all this setup tonight ( with photos of course)

Anything else I should pick up tonight?

Last edited:
A co signer? LOL just kidding...I'm a newb, so I don't have a lot to offer...I'm excited for you though...do you have a protien skimmer? Prob don't need one for a little while...Good Luck!!!

A co signer? LOL just kidding...I'm a newb, so I don't have a lot to offer...I'm excited for you though...do you have a protien skimmer? Prob don't need one for a little while...Good Luck!!!

that's what fiancees are for lol. I'm planning on going skimmerless

I would not do a deep sand bed on such a small tank, unless you have a fuge you want to do it in.

Keep your sand bed under an inch.

now that is a good idea! and i what i love especially about turning HOB filters into fuges is that pods are naturally pushed out by the water and dont run the risk of getting chewed up in the return pump

Quick update, tank is all set up and so far so good. Need to grab another power head as I do not think there is enough flow in the tank. Also I added the right amount of salt however my readings seems to be off the chart, will this lower after the salt is totally dissolved? Pics tomorrow

Give the salt at least 12, preferably 24 hours to mix and dissolve, then test again. At that point, add more water or salt to adjust it as needed.

Last night when I set everything up, like always the water was extremely cloudy. This morning there is no noticeable difference in the clarity of the water, ideas?

Yup! Temp is steady at around 27 Degrees.

Here is what I am looking at for the moment. Hopefully we get some clarity in the next few days.

photo.jpg

oops upside down, need to figure that out for next photo lol.

Ugh, I'm hearing a little click coming from inside the tank! Hopefully we don't have a mantis. Tank is still to cloudy to see any thing. Would a mantis survive the cycle?

Ok tiny update. Water cleared quite nicely and I was able to do a bit of aqua scaping, which is turn clouded the water again lol. Anyway its better now and I was able to snap a photo of it. Tested my salinity today and its sitting at 1.023 which I hear is good. PH is reading 8.0 Ammo 4ppm, Nitrite 0ppm and Nitrate 0ppm, looks like my cycle has started hurray. I also picked up another power head and I am finally satisfied with the amount of current in the tank. My one beef is also of the sand particles are falling on top of the live rock and making it ugly but I assume that will pass in time. Now that the cycle has started ( i think) How often do I test the water?

Sorry for the poor picture, camera broke recently and need to use my phone :(

photo(2).jpg

Last edited:
Back