Anemone,leather and mushroom coral

Lanzo

LAN
Hey!!

I want to buy a Bulb anemone, Sarcophyton(mush coral) and mushrooms(disc anemones) on Vryday.

Will my ligthing sytem be o.k - 2 MH 150W 10000K (2weeks old)
2 T8's 30w (actanic and white) (1year old)
1 T5 39w (White) 10000K (4 months old)

Do i need to do a water change before then or after then????

Looks like the tanks 19 months old.
How are your parmeters?And what do you already have in there?

You have plenty of light.

lighting sounds perfect for the anemone. mushrooms don't normally like very intense light. be sure and put them on or near the bottom. if they never fully expand than they will need a more shady area.
i wouldn't think an extra water change would be needed. (no more than you routinely do) as long as parameters are ok. and are steadily ok. such as nitrates

stick to your regular water change schedule. I don't do a water change right away after adding corals. I may add them on tuesday (like I did today) and then I do my weekly water changes on friday. Seems to work for me.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

parameters:
Ph 8.2
Nitrate 0.10
Nitrite 0
Amonia 0
Calsuim 700(think my test kit is broken)
SG 0.124
Phos???

I have another 2 MH 150W 20000 Globes, witch is better the 10000K or the 20000K (should i replace the 10000K's with the 20000K's

I did a water change 40 days ago.

5 months ago i bought mula anemone and it died 1week after.(Thats before i added the MH).Will this appen again with the bulp tip?

You need to do water changes more frequently. I bet that's the cause of your algae. Try doing 10% to 20% weekly and see if your conditions improve. Anemones are hard to keep, especially if your water quality is not good. But your lighting seems appropriate for one.

The 10k is better for corals and anemones.The 20k is okay too,its more pleasing to the eye.Your get better growth with the 10k.The choice is up to you.

I would re-check calcium with a new test kit and check for phosphate.If the calcium is still high then try to lower it....380-450ppm is good.I haven't a clue what high calcium and phosphate does to anemones but its better to be on the safe side.

Best of luck.

Do i need to do it weekly???
Can't i do it ones a month?
IF you say water change,do you meen i need to prepare a bucket of water with salt, because ones a week is alot.Most of my books says that one a month is o.k.

What is the best way to acliminate the anemone. I heared that just taking a bit of my main tank water and rinsing the anemone and just placing him in is a good one.What do you think??

IS it o.k that i drip my leather and mushrooms for a hour and then placing them in???

I would get the algea under control before I tryed the anemone.

But,I would do at least a 10% water change once a week.

As for acclimating an anemone.They need to be drip acclimated.Just float the bag for 15 to 20 minutes to take care of the temp,then set up a drip.Let it drip untill the water in the bag matches the salinity and temp of your DT.

The term DT(what does that mean).
I'm getting my anemone and corals tom for very very very very very cheap.
I cant tell the man i don't want it or to hold it for me.
Will they do or will they survive.
Please tell me what to do.
When can i start the WC?Maybe 2 days after the new arrivals or whatt?

You can do the water change any time.But I think if it was me,that I'd do at least a 30% before I went to get the new anemone and corals.For that matter,you couold do a water change just before you start acclimatting your new critters.

Dt= display tank.

DT stands for display tank.

If you rather do monthly water changes,thats ok too.We suggested doing it more often because of your algae problem,

Sorry,I don't know what high calcium and phosphate does to anemones.Waiting a couple of days before doing water changes sounds good.

o.k thanks for the help on the corals ,anemone and algae.
I still have a little problem on something else.(going to make a new thread)WORMS!!!!!!!!!!!

Anemones are MUCH harder to keep alive than fish or other inverts. So I would also advise if there is some way you can put off adding the anemone, do so. Having an anemone die or get sick in your tank can potentially kill everything else in it. When they go bad, the GO BAD. And can ruin everything really fast. They are difficult to keep. You should do weekly water changes. Your water quality is not great. And it's probably because you don't do water changes often enough.

Back