Anemones & Clown Fish

Kizmar

#derpface
Disclaimer: I realize that there's only a 50%-ish chance that any given clown fish will host in an anemones.

That said, one of my main goals in this tank is to have an anemone (hopefully) hosting a pair of clown fish.

I've been looking through different kinds of anemones to find one that would be moderately easy to keep alive and happy, as well as one that won't grow too large or have really really long tentacles (some mature to 8-10", that would be nice).

While I do my research on this, I wondered if you guys had any suggestions based on prior experience with this subject.

The only way to get a better then 50% for clowns to host an anem is to get a clown/anemone pair that is found naturally in the wild.

imo: i would go with a bubble tip anemone, i would do a little looking i found an LFS that puts clowns in the tanks with their anemones so if you wanted a hosting pair you could buy the 2 and the anemone, wild caught clowns have the best chance of hosting, i think. not %100 sure

PS: i wouldnt suggest a condy, they are very hardy but, clowns dont often host them 1:1000 and they are aggressive, an some people have a problem with them moving around the tank too much, mine stays put though

I agree the bta is always a good choice for a nem.. good chance of it hosting and is very hardy, alot of LFS's actually sell nems already hosting a clown or two.. I bought my LTA with two clowns being hosted and they immediately went to the BTA now they take care of both for me..

I wouldnt put a nem in a new tank. They need pristine water conditions to thrive and stability, two things that arent often found in new tanks. I would wait at least 8 months personally. No point risking a creature that might nuke your tank if it died.

My clown fish will sit on the frogspawn, mushrooms, feather duster worms anything that will let him pretty much. If you have your heart set on anemone, more power too you but its really not necessary. Just find some really cool looking corals the clowns dont care and its less stress on your new tank.

Actually my clown has been buddy buddy all day with my devils hand coral, go figure.

my clowns wouldnt host anything, dusters, frilly shrooms, hammers, frogspawns etc. within a week after a green bta was added they wouldnt leave it

I have a pair of Picasso's that are hosting "whores" It started with a hammer coral then they didn't like it for some reason moved to a acan, now they are on to they beautiful RBTA. The two clowns are tank bred I guess I might have got lucky but I did buy them as a pair when they were just old enough to come home with me.

My clowns host in a giant mushroom and my BTAs, just happened, cant really force it. The anemone I heard that is best is the magnificent, but they are expensive, huge, and hard to care for.

I have 2 tank-raised clowns, and i coulda swore they were mentally challenged for the first couple months, just swam near the surface in the same place next to their favorite rock. finally last month they figured out the soft corals feel good to swim against and one started hanging and sleeping on top of the toadstool and the other hosted the cladiella finger leather. Now when i put my hand in the tank they think im another big soft coral to nestle against and keep trying to work their way into the crevasses of my hands lol. IMO clowns will figure out their best home in time, get the anemone you like and give it time

they sure can .. mine takes shrimp all the time and brings it to the nem.. actually anything that has died in the tank also the clowns grab it and bring it to the nem...
The last chromis that had died in my tank the clown brought it right to the nem and in a few seconds it was gone..

I'm a 'nem lover and have many in my nano tank. My clowns (percula) Fish Zilla and Roger, host in most of them that are big enough - the bubble tips and a magnifica and also recently the sand anenome who has grown from about 1 inch to 4 inches across in the last few months.

I started buying anenomes because my clowns were hosting in the elegance corral and annoying it. I kept buying because these anenomes are beautiful like flowers and predatory like cats! My most recent is a mini maxi anenome (1 inch across) that I have had to put in jail so that it doesn't snap up my mandarines! LOL! Funny a teeny weeny bubble tip has moved into jail with it. :cupidarr:Hope she's going to be OK...

Back