Anemones got me freaked!

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
I came home today and found my anemone curled into a tiny ball, and both my shrimp were picking away at the little bit of tentacles still exposed. It's still moving around but its still closed up and it's expelling a small cloud like I've seen other corals do when stressed out. Is this thing gonna end up killing my tank or what?

anemone010.jpg

anemone007.jpg

Its taking a :pooh:
thats the one thing that kills me about anemones.Their full of crap.
You can expect them to do that about 20 to 24 hours after they've eat.

You mean it? The milky stuff and all? I was all nervous cause the shrimp were harassing it just like they did to the frogspawn right before it croaked. How long will it stay like that? I've been home an hour now and it just flopping in once spot......I almost bagged it cause I thought it was poisoning the tank

Yeah,I mean it.Its crappin.
How long it takes depends on how big its last meal was.And the shrimp eat it because its got undigested food in it.

Is the anemone still attached? If his foot is still keeping him attached to something, then it's still healthy. It's a bad sign if they won't stay attached to rock.

I just noticed in your sig, you have 4 months experience? Does that mean you have that anemone in a tank that's only been set up 4 months? Sebae's are very sensative and I would not recommend trying one in anything but a very mature tank.

Sorry, sig not updated. Tank is at about six months, seven counting cycle. I wouldnt have risked it other than my parameters have not fluctuated at all since cycle. Even nitrates are at zero all the time, maybe 5 at the highest ever. I'm pretty anal about keeping it clean.

Foot buried in the sand is a good thing. Mine made it's way thru cracks in about 4" of live rock and 2" of sand to get it's foot attached to the bottom glass.

actually, I take that back, his foot is not buried anymore, however, I don't think he's found a spot hes happy with yet

Update for anyone interested.....

Nothing has changed, he's still balled up and the tentacles that are exposed are shriveled and not looking too good. He tried to open up about 15min ago, but it only lasted a few minutes and he balled back up. When he was open I could see his mouth. He keeps squirming around, but still not open again. Lights are going off soon, I'm wondering if I should give him till morning

Not trying to scare you but my LTA was doing this and it died. Not saying yours is dying but there is a good chance. Give it till tomorrow some time.

Just curious, at what point do I call it quits and pull the thing out without poisoning my tank? What signs should I look for, or wait till he's obviously dead?

If it gets gooey and slimy, or if you touch it and it falls apart or disintegrates. You will also notice your water smelling especially foul :).

By the time the anemone gets to what Biff mention,you would have to suck it out through a hose.You can have pristine water conditions and sebaes can die.They are uber difficult anemones to keep alive.

I classified it as dead this morning. Although his foot was still attached, and he was still reacting very slowly to stimulus, there was a bunch of tentacles that were starting to fall apart, and a couple actually lying on the bottom. I plucked him and tossed him before things get ugly hopefully

Back