Another new addition. Lionfish

jen_1122

Reefing newb
So, here is the new addition. I believe they said indian spotback lionfish, I wouldn't swear to that being the proper name. About 3 inches long right now and hiding. I'll try to post better pics when she's out from behind the rocks.

Attachments

• lionfish.jpg
    lionfish.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 498
I dunno, he doesnt seem squiggly enough for volitane, and the back crest looks different.

But with a little more searching, i think he is a mombasa lion fish, which are from the indian ocean which would make sense with the name she was given.
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Mombasa Lionfish, Pterois mombasa

Oh, that looks just like him. I think I got some better pics of him showing off to the damsils (they were not happy). I'll have to see how they came out. But yeah, I think you nailed it :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Lionfish question????

Need some advice please. We put him in the tank yesterday and she ate 2 ghost shrimp right away. Tonight, he seems to be breathing a bit heavy and not interested in food. Our numbers are

SG-1.023
PH-8.2
KH-10
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5.0
temp-78f

Should I be concerned. He just started swimming, but totally bypassed the shrimp. Do they eat daily? I was under the impression they do.

Ok, my husband says the pump is 900gph, but he turned it down so he could swim. I had him turn it back up and he seems to be breathing slower, but I think that was before we adjusted the pump. We also have a 250 powerhead. Still no interest in the food though. I can be patient if its stress, but don't want to miss anything that I may have overlooked being a newbie. lol:sfish:

Thank you
Thank you
Thank you

That isnt much flow for your tank. You want at least 20x the volume of your tank, but more importantly, do you have one pump rippling the surface of the tank? That is very
important to get good gas exchange.

He said it's an overflow tank with a 900 or 1900 gph pump. He can't remember and I can't see the numbers on the pump to get an accurate number. But we were told by a few sources when purchasing this tank the pump was actually oversized for the tank. So, i'm assuming the larger. :grumble:

Back