Another new addition. Lionfish

Well, the most important thing right now is, is there water movement at the surface of the tank. That will dictate wether or not you have good oxygen exchange, and do you have lid on the tank?

My guess is that the behavior is from stress due to being moved around and added to a new tank. I would keep trying to get it to eat, and keep an eye on it.

It took me almost a week to get my last fish eating after adding it to my tank.

looks like it might be spreading around the eye as well. Could that still be pop eye, or would it be concentraited to the eye?

Oh, I have to find something possitive. So, on a side note, I'm a suncoral mommy. My yellow and black suncorals are sprouting baby's :)

Last edited:
Ok, update. Called our store. He may have been moulting or shedding at time of transfer. Crossing fingers. I didn't even know they did this.

That would be the first time I've heard of a fish molting....it sounds more like Pop eye to me (just as Hannah sugguested) Can you try and get a photo of the fish?

Ok, so i'm not going against the pop eye theory. I've been doing a lot of reading. It seems that the lions can shed there skin. It seems they will do this to remove iritants on there skin. I found the slim on the bottom of the tank that is something to be expected of the sheding. He's not acting sick other than hiding and not wanting to eat and the cloudy eye. Breathing normal now, swimming calmly when it does move from spot to spot (in the back:grumble:)

I'm getting mixed articles on the popeye. It seems many let it ride out and as you all have said get him eating. So, looks like I have some options. I'll try to get a pic. But, keeps hiding in the back of the tank and I don't want to pry to much. But, I am keeping an eye on his eyes though.

Some of the reading I found.
The first article was very informative.
The Lionfish Info Sheet: Captive Care and Home Husbandry by Frank Marini, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com
Pterois Volitans - Adaptation
Just thought I would post for anyone else doing some research on these guys. Good reading.

I really dont think fish dont molt or shed, i would say you have a spreading bacteria infection.

Ill try and do some research on what you can try and treat that with. In the mean time, try and get her eating again.

Back