ANOTHER small leak

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
Well we fixed the leak at the bulkheads now I have a small leak on the return line back to the tank. I used primer, glue and a hose clamp. What would be the best way to fix this leak. Here is a pic. It's on the white tube that connects to the bulkhead. I am getting so sick of this shit. Please tell me that I am not the only one that is battleing leaks. Here is a pick.

DSC00832.jpg

Salty I don't know what to say....I getting an All-Glass Megaflow or Oceanic Reef Ready here shortly..I hope I don't have the problems you are having.

Isn't your tank an All-Glass and are those tubing part of the plumping kits that come with them?The white tube..what kind is that?I like using the flexible tubing that looks like a slinky(does that make sense?)

Sorry man..hope things get better.

I hate to hear you're still having leak troubles buddy!!! I am defenitely no authority on pumbling, and I don't want anyone lead wrong on account of something I've said, so I'm gonna leave the answering up to someone with mroe experience. Sorry I couldn't be more help, and I hope things get better for you!!!!

It appears you have used PVC flex line there. It is not made for inserts but is to be assembled same as ridgid. I would recommend you change it out for either some crosslink pex tubing or black aquarium tubing. hope this helps. Also make sure your clamps are listed water clamps. Water clamps are a bit wider than the standard tubing clamp and will give you more compression around the tubing.

Im gonna agree with Jhnrb. We use the PVC flex line at work alot when we install attic systems.
Switch that out with either the hose Jhnrb was talking about or some of the clear vinyl tubing.

Alight I think I have pin-pointed the problem. The white pipe is PVC spa flex and the bulk had is ABS, we used regular PVC cement and this is a big no no. You are suppose to use a special cement to bond PVC and ABS together. So tommarow I am going to stop at a few plumbing whole-sale houses and see what they suggest.

I am really bumbed out with all the shit I have been through with this hobby.

The cement is only part of the problem. the PVC was made to insert inside a fitting not a fitting inside of the PVC. You can check with whom you want but by changing out the pvc and using just regular tubing clear or black with clamps and hose barbs will solve your problem. I know you are tired of the leaks, but, be patient and all will come together. after all is working correctly you will be much the wiser on where the mistakes were made and be able to share with others. dont get discouraged, the learning process never ends but it does get to be fun. keep us posted.

Just use water pipe clamps.Your not supposed to glue barbed fittings anyway,the barbs are there to help hole the tubing in place,the clamp is to make sure the pressure from the pump dont force it off the fitting.

One problem, most of the barbs on the bulkhead were sanded off to fit the pvc on. There are a few left on top. Would I still be fine using the clear vinyl hose and make sure it goes to the way top of the bulkhead and maybe use to pipe clamps?

I used clear vinyl tubing on my All-Glass bulkheads and there has been not so much as a trace of water under my tank. Whats nice about the vinyl tubing is you can heat it up for few minutes with a hair dryer or even just in hot water which will expand it and then you can slide it onto your bulkhead, that helps to make sure you get it over 100% of the barbs, and as it cools it forms to the barbs, then i slipped on a hose clamp but would be willing to bet my whole setup that i would get no leaks without the clamp...it's just a, i'd rather be safe than sorry, kinda thing. :twocents:

as for the barbs being sanded off, you may as well try some other sort of hose before going and buying a new bulkhead. I think you can get it to work with the ones you got. I feel for ya man, i hate having to redo things over and over again until i get it right. you've just had sore luck. keep at it, it'll be worth it.

vinyltubing.jpg

on more thing, keep in mind that your return pipe is under a little bit of pressure because your pumping uphill and fighting gravity, where your line going out of your tank to the sump is not fighting gravity and is not under pressure. Your flex PVC might not be soft enough to create a solid seal over the entire surface of the barbs on the bulkhead allowing the water under pressure to escape. hope this helps

Last edited:
Salty,I think Newb just hit your nail right on the head.
When you sanded the barbs off,you didnt get it perfectly round,there for its not sealing all the way around.
Just get some hose and soak it in some hot water for a minute or 2.Slip it over the bulkhead,just be sure to get it all the up over the last barb.When the hose cools it will shrink some which will give it air tight seal.Tighten the hose clamp for an added safety.
That should fix your leak and your headache.
When I plumbed in my wet/dry,all I used was the vinyl tubing.3/4 id to be exact.havent seen the first drop of a leak.

You guys ROCK!!!

Thanks soooo much.

Off to Lowes (I love that store) even though I am only going to buy tubing and hose clamps, I am sure I will end up spending 100$, I always find something else that I just have to have, haha.

I love lowes and home depot too! i can never seem to get all the parts i need in one trip though, and end up making 3 or more trips. keep us posted on the progress with the leak SSalty.

Ladies and gentleman, break out the champagne, SSalty is officially leak free.
Here is what I did. I had to keep the bottom portion of the spa-flex because it was glued to my pump. So I cut the spa-flex off of the bulkhead and made another cut after the union. I then used a slip x female coupling, (yes, I used the special cement to bond these fitting together) I then used a male x barb fitting, heated and connected the clear vinyl tube from the barbed fitting to the bulkhead, then double hose clamped that beotch, it has been up and running for 6 hours and no leaks yet. The advice about heating up the vinyl before applying it to the barbs worked out great. Thanks a lot guys. I am soooooo relieved, and can't wait to enjoy this hobby, haha.

Of course, things are better with pictures.
DSC00833.jpg

DSC00834.jpg

We Knew you were a plumber at heart there salty:mrgreen:
Glad you got it fixed,now sit back,relax,and enjoy your tank:beerchug:

Back