Any advice for this setup?

NekoTwilight

Reefing newb
Hey everyone! I've been slowly researching saltwater aquariums (reef) and have been looking at different all-in-one models (biocube 29 gal, nano-cube 28 gal, etc). My budget is about $400 dollars, at the moment (college :C)

Anyway, I was browsing Craigslist and saw this.

Any opinions? Is this a good deal? Seems like it to me, especially if I could get it for $450 or so.

All Glass 72 Gallon Running Salt Water Aquarium Set Up

Also, a random question. How are people able to sell live rock out of water? o_o? Doesn't that kill whatever is on it? I'm assuming then that this guy will be giving me the rock in water. @o@

Anyway, thanks.

That looks like a very nice setup. I am assuming it comes with a sump (because it is a reef ready tank with an overflow and he mentions an Eheim pump). The lights are good quality. Probably the most common problem with Craig's List aquariums for sale is that they come with crappy lights. But these lights would allow you to keep anything you wanted.

To me, that's a good deal, especially since it comes with all the rock. Live rock is very expensive (usually around $10 a lb if you buy it at a fish store), and his tank looks like it contains at least 100 lbs of live rock.

When you transport the rock, you'll want to put it in 5 gallon buckets from the hardware store, and keep it as wet as possible. Either by taking some water with it and keeping it submerged in the buckets, or by wrapping the pieces in newspaper soaked in the tank water.

Thanks so much for the input! I offered him $400 + a small Sharp LCD TV I have lying around. We'll see what happens. :0 I'll be sure to post pics if I end up snagging it. And thanks for explaining the live rock. :3

Looks like a terrific deal to me. Good lights, decent equipment...I say definitely go for it. The biggest problem will be transporting all the stuff but as long as you do it right you should be fine.

Don't reuse the sand, though, buy new sand (dry is fine and cheap).

Yes, leave the sand behind. It will be a bit of a chore to take the tank down and pack the stuff up, but if you have been waiting for a good deal on a used tank and equipment, this is it.

I kept my sand when I bought and even when I moved.
Also get a trash can to keep a lot of water in order to not provide to much of a shock to the inhabitants.

I'm guessing that since that is the Atlanta area CL you are aound me somewhere. If you need a hand let me know. Maybe I can find some time to help you out. I'm in Roswell FWIW.

Back