Aqua-line wet drys

nevereverhome

Reefing newb
Hello room thinkig of getting a new filter , does anyone have an aqua-line wet dry if so how well do they work found some great deals on a company out of florida its the 75 reef comes with everything
i need any input would be great thanks...kevin

Can you post a link to it.

A wet/dry is fine for a fish only but I would go with a sump/fuge if your going FOWLR or full reef.

the pump that is come with is not big enough IMO. the bio balls are nitrte factories, so i would lose those and add LR rubble. i would personally pass on it and make your own.

You never did answer the question:
Are you doing a fish tank or a reef tank?

If you are doing a reef tank then STOP thinking about the wet/dry. A wet/dry filter is NOT what you want for a reef tank. They work okay, but they are old and outdated technology. There are much better and much simpler systems today that require less maintenance. A wet/dry will work, but it's just not worth the trouble.

You want a REFUGIUM.

You can build a simple refugium with a 15g or 20g tank that will easily work on a tank up to 100g size. All it takes is some plexiglass baffles and a pump. You'll need an overflow to get the water from the main tank down to the refugium. Thats it.

If you're doing a fish tank, then a wet/dry can work if you are diligent about your water changes and regular maintenance. The bio-balls need to be cleaned periodically and it's a lot of work to keep up with it on a continual basis.

So, which is it? Fish tank or reef tank? Start by answering that question and we can help you find the right filter.

here is my old sump ...

tankdrawing.gif

Eh. You can do something more simple than that. Divide a glass tank into 3 sections using plexiglass. The first section will hold your equipment (heaters, skimmer). The second section will be your refugium and hold some sand, live rock rubble and macroalgae. The third (and smallest) section will hold your return pump.

it basically a fish only but I have about 50 lbs of live rock in it already it is a 54 corner, with a fluval canister, skimmer, and some power heads been runnin for a year now. have a trigger,couple damsels,snails, chco chip star,royal gamma, and a sweetlips, thought the wet dry would work better than the cannister.

You have a FOWLR(fish only with live rock)tank.
I would add maybe 10-20lbs of live rock and go with a sump/refugium instead of a wet/dry.

here's another more simple design.First chamber is for the skimmer then baffles to trap debris and micro bubbles from the skimmer.The second is the refugium where macro algae consumes nitrate and a safe place for pods.The final section is the return pump area.

sump.jpg

Back