Aragocrete: Safe to use??

Martinb

Reefing newb
So I heard of this new way to actually make and cure your own live rock from coral rocks, coral sand, and cement. Apparently it works well, and is Very cheap to make. But I am VERY skeptical over this 'miracle' rock or 'poor mans rock'. What do you all think of this?? and If anyone actually has pictures of cured aragocrete in their aquarium, can you direct me to the pictures? I'm just afraid of putting the rock in my nanocube, and killing my little fish by accident.. But if it really is worth it and safe, let me know!
thanks everyone!
martinb

Several people on this site have made their own rock, and have been very happy with it!! Start by looking through the DIY forum. I know that WontonFlip is one of them -- I can't remember the others.

There a few members here that make their own rocks...I'm sure they will chime in soon. But if done right, will not cause any problems in your tank.

I have some of projects rock in both of my tanks. Everything has been going really well in both tanks so yes it is safe. The biggest issue is making sure that the rock has fully cured before you put it in with any livestock. it can take 6 to 8 weeks of cure time. If you have that kind of time and patience then go for it. It will save you a bunch of money.

Yep...I'm an aragocrete diy fan :) Mine's taking forever to cure because it's been cold here, and slowing the process. I'll be making another batch soon.

It's fun, and I love the rock formations I've made so far. It just takes patience (which I have tons of) because the curing time can vary anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months. I'm more on the long-curing end ;) I have one regret with my first batch...I did not put enough salt (I got worried I might put too much)...not so...it is very porous now, but if I had put the recommended amount of salt, It would be a ton more porous.

So if you have time to spare, and a small rock budget, this is a nice way to go. I highly recommend it.

Is this for your 12g nano? If so, you're better off just buying one ;) I've spent maybe $30 in materials, and I have enough to stock up my 125g with enough rock.

Wow, I'm definetly trying this.
Can I put the rock directly in my DT after it sits in the water for a week or do I have to seed it seperately?

Edit: Just saw above posts about curing. Is that the part where it just sits in the cold water? Only said a week on the video. How would I know it's done.

Last edited:
I'm curious if you cure the rock using tap water will phosphates leach in? My tap water is ridiculously high in phosphates so that would be my only concern?

thats exactly the same question that i've been asking since i made my first batch.... and unfortunately i dont have a sure fire answer, but it does stand to reason that if there is a higher concentration of minerals and or chemicals in the water than there is in the "rocks" then yes, stuff would leach in...

This is why, just yesterday, i finally got my perm installation of my RODI all buttoned up... so, now i allways have 30 gallons of water ready, the plan is to build a curing table for my future batches of rocks, and to cure them out in rodi water, i figure if i do it this way, then i can be sure nothing is getting into my rocks..

The other question that i have been asking myself is this: If you mix the cement with tap water, then arent you putting junk in from the inside out? This is also why my next batch will be mixed with RODI water, and then cured in it as well...

just a couple thoughts...

oh, and yea, just incase your currious, i do actually mix mine in a cement mixer, not by hand.

ok so I have made a few rocks. I didnt use aragacrete, I used some crushed coral I had. I used regular portland cement rather than the white cement. Now I am not sure about the curing of the rock and minerals and such leeching into the rock...what I can tell you is there is a LOT of stuff leeching out of them. My rocks are still soaking after 4 weeks and I do regular water changes in the tote.

I know that the rocks do run your ph off the charts if it is not fully cured. Just remember especially with saltwater, patience is a virtue. If it takes months it takes months, dont put the integrity of your tank in jeopardy. I would say I love the rocks I have made, they look fabulous to me and are very porous...here are some pictures

garf.jpg

IMG00398-20091218-2128.jpg

IMG00399-20091218-2146.jpg

closeup.jpg

Your rocks look great! Those will be perfect to stick corals on. I mean... On which to stick corals... Eh. Prepositions schmepositions.

Nice pieces, B :) LOL --- Star Crunch....good one ;)

I read somewhere, someone made comparison tests of rocks cured in hard vs soft water (which I guess he means untreated hard water from tap, and filtered soft water). The curing process was faster w/ the hard water.

As for leeching, it might....but I don't see anywhere in the garf site that says they used specifically ro/di (but I may be wrong..the site's hard to navigate). I think the garf rock thread (https://www.livingreefs.com/diy-base-rock-la-garf-t19017.html) we talked about curing in tap water. Mine's curing in tap. I believe, I just ran a hose inside and used tap to make the rock itself.

My next batch I think I will use ro/di, since I always have plenty on hand anyway. Doesn't take a whole lot of water. But as far as I've seen, no one's complained about problems with properly cured diy'd rocks....at least not long term...hehehe.

Back