Are These Sundial Snails?

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
I discovered a couple of these things in my tank when I first set it up almost 6 months ago. Didn't give it a second thought.

I just saw a pic on a hitchhiker ID site and was wondering if these are the dreaded Sundial snails that eat zoas.

The sundial snails have a very distinct kinda square pattern on their shells. Looks like those digital dots you see on cable TV before the picture comes all the way in. The snails I have in my tank don't have the rippled shell and square black dots in their pattern, but it still worries me.

Any opinions or ID on these?

MysterySnailc.JPG

MysterySnailb.JPG

They kinda look like these snails that I found on Melevsreef, but I need some other opinions.

Pasted from MelevsReef:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The subject of this picture is the tiny snail in the dead center. It is a Collonista amakusaensis, which is quite a mouthful for such a tiny guy. It is about the size of a BB, and is hiding in the shade of an Astrea above. These tend to come in as hitchhikers, and breed quite easily. If you look at your tank late at night, you'll typically see lots of them once you know what you are looking for. They never get any larger, and seem to assist in eating some algae. Here is another image, with some other inverts to get a sense of scale.

Melev's Reef - Visual Identification
8th picture down on the left hand column. Right under the zoa eating nudi picture. (7th)

The largest ones in my tank have gotten about 1/4" diameter. Most are the size of a BB, which is consistent with the description on MelevsReef.

:twocents:?
[/FONT]

Back