battery backup for a 90g tank

cms

Reefing newb
I'm thinking of getting a battery backup just for the lights, got a 48"solar extreme t5. The problem is that whenever I lose power, or have a power surge, it apparently resets the programming, so the number of scheduled hours gets all messed up. How can I prevent this from happening? I have a generator that can actually power the whole house, which starts up automatically 30 seconds after the power shuts off, so I don't have to worry too much about the rest of the equipment, I just need to keep this light from resetting itself. Any ideas? Thanks

Even with a batter backup, if you lose power i would imagine it would cause the lights to lose their programming. Before my LED's my Marineland fixture had a watch battery on the little controller that would maintain the settings in the event of a power outage. If its external from the fixture (such as a back up battery) I don't know that it would allow the fixture to remember its programming

Not too sure of the brand but I am looking to get one from Best Buy.

I figure it will cost me between $100-$175 for something to run my tank for a few hours.

I am only going to hook up the heater and maybe the powerheads or return pump.

I personally do not want my lights to take away from the time my heater could be keeping the tank from dropping too low in temp.

I will say this though. I know these are tropical fish and coral but there has to be a time they are in the water and it is not 80 degrees. Some of the corals and fish are found 20-30 feet below the surface and I figured the temps down there at night or in the colder months can't be 80 all the time.

Do you know which ones, what brand etc??? Thanks

Two of the most popular/common brands are UPS and APC. As far as which one I can't say specifically but, if it's just to power your lights till the generator kicks on you should be ok with one of the lower models.

Run a small pump (not the main one) and your heater only on a good computer battery backup. The big question with power outages is how much money do you wan to spend.

Back