Battery Backup

andysgirl8800

Blenny Badlands
Does anyone have one of these attached to their equipment for power outtages? I was looking at one to run my pump and my heater....the two pieces of equipment I consider absolutely critical to run my tank. But the rated wattage for many of these units just seems too low to accommodate my equipment, and the higher the rated the wattage, the higher the cost. Most models also seem to offer estimates of about an hour of available power, depending on the attached equipment. What would I do if the outtage lasted longer than an hour, or drained the unit in less time than the estimate?

I am almost thinking the money would be wiser spent on a small, portable generator, which would run on gas and could handle a more demanding power load. Downside is, I would have to be home to manually connect the equipment and turn on the generator. We don't often get outtages here, and when we do, they are usually short lived. That being said, I also don't want to be caught off gaurd and lose my entire tank. I plan to run a few "fire drills" to be prepared. Am I being paranoid?? Thousands of dollars invested in this tank would say otherwise! :mrgreen: Anyone have any thoughts?

i have UPS's on both my tanks,, i dont have them on the lights or the heaters, but on my salt tank they run the return pumps, and on the fresh tank the air pump...

personally i think its pretty cheap insurance...

i do own a generator, and i have used it, a couple months ago we had a big bad storm come through and knock out the entire southside of town... well after about 2 hours of no lights, i went for a short ride in the car, (i know where the most likely failure points in our grid are) and i found crews at each of them, working, so whatever it was(i'm guessing lightning) really cooked some stuff, so i went back home, fired up the geny, and plugged the UPS units into it, that way they were getting recharged, and powering the tanks all at the same time...

fortunately it was a sat night, so i was home when this all happened.. but if i hadnt been home, then the batteries woulda died after about 4 hours...

the total power outage was 4 hours 8 min according to the software on the big UPS i have on the computers in the office... so my tanks woulda only been without power for around 8 min... i think thats fine...

Last edited:
Back