Beast's Budget Build

o0nwq0.jpg

sand. I put the sand in initially and then the rocks. The rocks are centered though so I can clean my glass. Even though I'm not cleaning the sides or back. Not that i would have to anyways. These tanks/snails never stop.

I hate to tell you this, but you need put your rocks on the sand. The sand will slowly dissolve over time (this is good, helps keep your water stable) and will critters digging around them, the sand can shift causing a rock slide. Which, im sure you realized is devastating in any tank.

I hate to tell you this, but you need put your rocks on the sand. The sand will slowly dissolve over time (this is good, helps keep your water stable) and will critters digging around them, the sand can shift causing a rock slide. Which, im sure you realized is devastating in any tank.

*need to put your rocks on the glass, she means. If they are sitting on the sand, it is easy for them to topple over. They need to be on a sturdy, stable base.

*need to put your rocks on the glass, she means. If they are sitting on the sand, it is easy for them to topple over. They need to be on a sturdy, stable base.

On the bottom glass she means. (Not the back glass) :D

You'll need to remove the rocks and push the sand to the sides and place the rock directly onto the glass. Then push the sand up and around the rock. That will give you the most stability.

no problem I didn't like my set up anyways. i will have to put the critters in my bucket for a while I move stuff around. You think its ok if i add a few rocks? I wanted to get some flatter ones for caves because I want to get a peppermint shrimp. If i just add 2 pounds of rock can they handle that? or will the cycle be to much for them to handle?
and thanks for the advice! you guys are really life savers.

Personally, i would take it out, or put some rubble in there to increase your filtration. and then maybe once a month run a filter for 3 or 4 days to "polish" your water.

In marine tanks, the filtration is done by the bacteria living in the rocks and sand, not filters. Those are a freshwater idea that doesnt translate very well to marine tanks.

I have been contemplating removing the filter sponge and carbon from my filter, this is very hard for me because I have had freshwater tanks for 15 years and would never dare do this. :shock:

My question is if I remove that stuff and fill it with LR rubble, wont particles still get trapped in the rubble causing nitrates? I have had about 10PPM nitrates for two weeks and I thought about making a cheato hanging box on my tank but it all seems so complicated.

Some particles will get trapped in there, but not like if you have filter media in there. If you can, why dont you put cheato in the filter box, making that a mini refuge.

Also, this is saltwater, the rules are different, dont worry about freshwater rules on a saltwater tank.

Some particles will get trapped in there, but not like if you have filter media in there. If you can, why dont you put cheato in the filter box, making that a mini refuge.

Also, this is saltwater, the rules are different, dont worry about freshwater rules on a saltwater tank.

Yes I thought about putting the cheato in there its a pretty nice size filter box but what about lighting for it doesnt it need good lighting?

I swear cheato grows in the dark, but for lighting just use one of those squiggly blubs. Works great. You just have to change the bulbs every 3 months, because after that time the light intensity that they put out is pretty reduced, even if you can see the difference.

I swear cheato grows in the dark, but for lighting just use one of those squiggly blubs. Works great. You just have to change the bulbs every 3 months, because after that time the light intensity that they put out is pretty reduced, even if you can see the difference.

Ok its worth a try, no idea where to buy cheato though...hmmmm

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Kent-Marine-Nitrate-Sponge-Qt/dp/B001EUE4S4]Amazon.com: Kent Marine Nitrate Sponge 2 Qt: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]
what if you cut your filter at the top and sprinkled in some of this nitrate sponge media? will that cause other chemicals to go out of wack?

Back