Before I open the bag and let these beasts into my tank...

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
OK, I go to LFS to drop off a logo that I designed for him and he had just gotten a shipment of all kinds of wonderful things in his store. I knew this. I didn't take my wallet with me on purpose! So while I'm there, I ask him if he's got access to a syringe to inject the aptasia polyps that hitchiked into my tank on a live rock full of zoo's I got a couple of weeks ago. There are only three polyps and I want them GONE ASAP. He get's all embarassed and gives me a couple of pepermint shrimp. I liked the pretty red and white ones but he said these guys will eat my aptasia no problem. I didn't pay for them and they didn't come out of my store credit. Do I want these things in my tank? Thanks for any help,

Catherine:question:

they are good aptasia eaters and are reef say, but peppermints are only 50/50 at eating aptasia because they come from two different parts of the world and only the ones from flordia eat aptasia

Ok, but they aren't going to destroy my system if they die are they, like the anemone?

Thanks,

Catherine

The pepperment are good for the tank,even if they dont eat the aiptasia.They are great scavangers and will,if given the chance, clean your fish of old skin and parasites.

The logo is just a sketch at this point and LFS kept it. I get it back tomorrow and I'll post it. So I'm looking in my tank which I didn't do much of yesterday and I notice that my sea cucumber, Loofah is now in two places. Loofah had babies? Can they do that without a mommy and a daddy? Also, much to my dismay, there is another aptasia polyp on one of MY rocks, not the rock that came with the zoos on it. I'm afraid I'm going to have a problem on my hands. The shrimps are hanging upside down and swaying back and forth like they're at a rock concert. Hope that means they're happy. Ugly creatures. We're naming them Shiva (the destroyer) and Ganesh (the remover of all obsticles) I'll shoot them later when the sun is down.

Catherine

Last edited:
I have probably a dozen or more peppermints shrimps and they haven't put a dent in my aiptasias.Yet,I keep chucking them in there.They even came from E-Tropical(Florida).Peppermints are almost completely reef safe,don't buy any yellow polyps since they resemble aiptasias.

Peppermints will usually do a good job of eating aiptasia. Sometimes you get some (like Freak's) that don't seem to take a liking to it though... They are totally safe for your tank and won't hurt anything. One of the best shrimp to have, I think, because they can prevent problematic aiptasia problems in the first place.

About Loofah (great name, btw)... Can you post pics? What do you mean he's broken in half?

Loofah crawled himself into a cave and stayed there for a couple of weeks. Now, there are two of them, one is still in the cave, we can see him and the other is crawling around. The first one we can see clearly there is no pinched area, no abrupt ending, he looks the same at both ends. The second one we can't see much but he's in that cave. We'll have to keep an eye on them. I'll check my numbers daily to make sure that thing in the cave isn't dead.

Catherine

i think i read some ware that they will split in half if they stressed?i think it was on dr foster and smith.i really dont know my self just thought i would throw that out there.

Back