Best food to preserve fish color?

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
The color in my Royal Gramma and a couple other fish seems to have faded quite a bit. What are the best food(s) to preserve colors in fish. Anyone seen dramatic results with any particular food? I read somewhere that vitamins help.

Personally,I think that feeding several different foods is the secrete.Thats why I never feed the same thing twice in a row.And sometimes I'll even make a mix of every kind I have in the freezer for em.

You mean pellets soaked in vitamins?

Yes. Pellets which I douse with liquid vitamins and then let them soak for about 15 minutes to absorb into the pellets. I sometimes soak other foods as well but I think the pellets work best.

I tried the little fish vitamin pills but they just didn't work that well. Some of the fish complained that they were to big to swallow! :mrgreen:

I used
moz-screenshot.jpg
to put vitamin drops into the mysis...just a small drop, and soak em a few minutes. My fish hated them. Wouldn't eat them.

Personally,I think that feeding several different foods is the secrete.Thats why I never feed the same thing twice in a row.And sometimes I'll even make a mix of every kind I have in the freezer for em.

I agree with Yote. A variety is always the best.

i have pellets that have alot of vitamins in them, my clown looks gorgeous his colors r bright and dark. as well as my other fish. the pellets have vitamin A,D,E B12.. tons of vitamins in it or u can soak your pellets n vitamins, plus i like to mix it up as yote mentioned i have about 5 different foods. everyday something new. brine, mysis, krill, bloodworms, even squid. always good to mix up the foods, ull hate to eat cheese burgers everyday. plus some foods offer some stuff others dont so this way when u feed all kinds u get all kinds of vitamins.

Last edited:
I use spectrum pellets soaked in brightwell vitamarin M and garlic I switch my vitamins to vitamarin C everytime I buy new vits. my 850 gets pellets everyother day and sea veggies daily.

I will also soak my frozen foods in vitamins which I feed my 180 everyother day, and pellets once a week. sea veggies daily.

i think yotes got it down actually. I fed my fish a spectrum of different foods (i have about 7 things in my freezer) and switch it up everyday. That way they don't get bored of the same old food and my mandrin and clowns and blue damsel are brighter than ever!

reefrookie I'm glad to see that you are having good results with it.

It took me years to actually break down and start feeding with the pellets (old ways are sometimes hard to break) I have been able to cut back on my feedings as well with out the risk of my fish getting skinny.... :)

Back