Best way to improve my system?

Lizardgi

I used to have lizards
My 125g reef came with two 48" T5 light fixtures (GLO brand), each with dual 48" 54W lights for a total of 216 watts on the tank. This seems crazy low for a reef and while I only have soft corals, I want to give them the best chance to thrive.

I'm definitely not ready to spend $600+ on a full out new system, so ideally I'd like to keep the dual 48"s and add a bit more. Would adding a 3rd 48" dual strip be worth it?

Also, when lighting the aquarium, a 48" strip obviously doesn't cover a 72" tank. How do you light the sides? Do you stagger the lights, or just light the middle and have the light flow over? Right now I have both of mine staggered, so the middle is double covered, but the sides are both a bit as well.

Thanks!

I would personally save up for a new light. Like you said, the lights are only 4 feet, but the tank is 6 foot. I would save up for either 3 250 MH pendants or a fixture that was 6 foot long. IMO, it would just be a waste to spend money to band aid the proplem and then have to spend the money again later on when the 3rd Glo fixture doesnt work out.

Your tank is 72" long?

There are many choices for 72" long light fixtures. But you are right, they are all going to cost more than what's in your budget now.

Your lights right now are really low for a reef, and adding a couple more bulbs isn't really going to help much. If it were me, I'd either light one side (or the middle) and keep your corals there, or just save up for good lights.

Thanks for the quick advice! The 125g is 6ft, so yep, 72". I currently do have most corals in the middle under the most intense light, and they are doing well. Look like I'll start my piggy bank and hope that the wife lets me spend $1k on a light someday. :mrgreen:

Ive seen some lopsided lighting that makes a real cool look depending on your aquascaping, shift the t5's to one end and put a led unit on the other or MH, you can have the best of both light zones

Back