best way to move fish?

donlankford

Addicted Reefer
Plan on moving in the next few months. Wanted to know what would be the best way to move the fish? Moving from MD to FL and probably gonna stop on the way down so it would be a two day trip. Its only 3 fish dottyback, firefish, randall gobie, 2 hermits, pistol shrimp and a golf ball sized turbo snail. also have a rock with a mushrooms on itI know the sand is getting thrown away and i have enough buckets to put the live rock in and fill them with water. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated

It's going to be challenging to travel for two days with them. You will have to keep a powerhead and heater going while you move them (somehow). For me, personally, it wouldn't be worth risking the livestock -- I wouldn't try to move a long distance with fish and inverts. I know people get attached to their fish (believe me, I know!) but I would try to sell them and then buy new fish when you set up the tank in its new location.

If you still want to try to move them I would get a power inverter for your car and put the live stock in a cooler with a heater and a powerhead. But I would have to agree with Biff, its really not worth the chance.

There are two things you will need to do, assuming you already have a tank setup and cycled at your destination.
1) Keep water oxygenated and 2) keep water temperature constant.
I would use a clean 5G plastic bucket from Home Depot and fill it. Clean it with hot water because sometimes they have some kind of greasy industrial residue in them. Then use an inverter to keep the air pump with fine air stone going. Drop a floating thermometer in the water and watch temp. I just picked up a cheap battery powered air pump form Petsmart and it works very well. But keeping the temp constant will be your biggest challenge but then those 5G buckets hold temp well. I put one full of water at 80F outside --with a lid-- in below freezing weather and 20 minutes later it had lost only one degree. The air pump with air stone however will quickly change the temp to the same as the outside air though. Turn on the air pump only if air temp matches the water. You don't have to leave the air pump on continuously. And even doing all this you are taking a risk. You also have to consider whether your fish are hardy. A Blue Damsel could survive the trip easy but a Mandarin probably not.

thanks guys for your advice i think i will try to sell them like Biff said I dont want to kill the fish just trying to move them and it is a long trip. Just means i get to get new fish! Sweet!

Back