Best way to tie in a frag tank to DT system?

JAG107

Reef enthusiast
So, I got this idea to use an old 10gal tank as a frag tank, but I want to loop it into my DT system, on a stand right next to the 110g. Should I use 2 small pumps (1 in 1 out), or is there a cheap way to drill the 10g and baffle it? I'm looking to do this a cheaply as possible. All I want is a good T5 setup over it, and just eggcrate on a PVC stand, loaded with plugs. All your ideas are greatly appreciated! :mrgreen: :bowdown:

Would a 3/4" bulkhead be enough for the 10g?

Last edited:
Cool, that's a good idea. I'm really liking the drilling idea right now too. I found a bit on ebay for $14, hey the 10g was free, it's worth a shot anyway. I should also use 45's instead of 90's to get around corners, right?

what brand is the 10g? i read of some people who tried drilling their AGA 10 gallons and they all broke because they were made from tempered glass on all sides. thats why the glass was so thin.

if your going to have it drilled id take it to a glass shop and have them do it, that way you dont have to pay for a bit that youll only use once, and if they can tell you if its drill-able or not and if they break it they get to pay for a new one. and i would use 45's

it was suggested to me by someone on here(sorry i'm bad with names) to just put on a pair of polarized sunglasses and look at the tank, you should be able to see spots about an inch or so in diameter on each of the sides that is tempered, you may have to tilt your head, and or change your prospective.. for practice and to make sure you know what the spots should look like, just look at the back window of any modern car, you should see the dots very easily... with the polarizers on, that is.

that way you know if you should even consider it or not.

ok here's a little update: I bought a 1 3/8" glass/tile hole saw bit and did a trial run on an old wal mart 10gal that was given to me. I tried 3 holes, and all 3 cracked. Some cracks went from the top to the bottom. Would this signify tempered glass, or would that have been many many many cracks, not just 2 or 3 per hole?
Also, I looked into the 20g long made by All-Glass (stocked at petco), their website says their tanks are only tempered on the bottom panel, so the side should be safe right? Man I'm tempted to just call a glass shop and get a quote, I'd be real angry at myself for cracking a brand new $40 tank by some dumb error.

well if you only got long singular cracks then it sounds like there was too much pressure on the bit, or it got too hot.. if it were tempered the whole pain would go POOF. take a look on youtube, there are some videos.. and you can see when its tempered...

So I scrapped the whole glass drilling idea and went cheapo with rubbermaid 50qt tubs, used a wood hole saw for 1" bulkheads.

ok here's a little update: I bought a 1 3/8" glass/tile hole saw bit and did a trial run on an old wal mart 10gal that was given to me. I tried 3 holes, and all 3 cracked. Some cracks went from the top to the bottom. Would this signify tempered glass, or would that have been many many many cracks, not just 2 or 3 per hole?
Also, I looked into the 20g long made by All-Glass (stocked at petco), their website says their tanks are only tempered on the bottom panel, so the side should be safe right? Man I'm tempted to just call a glass shop and get a quote, I'd be real angry at myself for cracking a brand new $40 tank by some dumb error.

If it was tempered ir would shatter all over the entire glass not just cracks. Ever seen a windshield or a store window get broken?? That is tempered glass. You need a good Diamond Coated Glass hole bit see my post in for my 75 gal build i just drilled my 3 holes tonight and all were a success i was only nervous on the first one the last 2 went by like a dream. :^: Best to check with the manufacturer about the new tanks they could be different glass depending on how old the tank was that you test cut.

Looks like the Lowes glass bit is junk, or my drilling went too fast on an already-thin glass 10gal... So I opted to get rubbermaid "tanks" instead. Used a 1 3/8 wood hole saw bit, made a beautiful cut. No leak bulkhead made out of 2 sch. 80 1" pvc male/female adapters with thick thread sealant tape and a gasket. Saved me a lot of headache this way!

Back