Biff's 90 Gallon Downgrade

I'm actually not an environmental engineer -- I'm an environmental scientist that works for an engineering firm. If that makes sense!

I work with contaminated soil and water. I've got my HazMat manager certification. I also work with asbestos, lead, radon, mold, etc. Industrial hygiene stuff like that.

Boringly enough, my primary area of focus is in telecommunications. Doing the environmental clearance and regulatory leg work for new and replacement cell towers.

I also do inspections of different facilities for environmental problems or issues.

I know exactly what you mean. That sounds like it could be fun though. You do a lot of chemistry then, at work and at home.

good luck on your tank btw. I hope it clears up entirely for you

I'm actually not an environmental engineer -- I'm an environmental scientist that works for an engineering firm. If that makes sense!

I work with contaminated soil and water. I've got my HazMat manager certification. I also work with asbestos, lead, radon, mold, etc. Industrial hygiene stuff like that.

Boringly enough, my primary area of focus is in telecommunications. Doing the environmental clearance and regulatory leg work for new and replacement cell towers.

I also do inspections of different facilities for environmental problems or issues.

Wow you got like a real grown up job... what is your degree in?

I have a Bachelors in biology (Ecology and Evolutionary Biology) and two Masters, one in biology (Conservation Biology) and one in soil, water and environmental science.

I have a Bachelors in biology (Ecology and Evolutionary Biology) and two Masters, one in biology (Conservation Biology) and one in soil, water and environmental science.

Wow... I think you need another degree! have you always been into science and biology? I really wish I didn't drop out of chemistry, I may as well be reading a different language...

I've always liked science, but I did really poorly in my high school science classes. My mom said that my high school biology teachers would be shocked to find out that's what I ended up getting into. But high school is a totally different environment than college. I don't think most people do a lot of learning in high school.

Wow... I think you need another degree! have you always been into science and biology? I really wish I didn't drop out of chemistry, I may as well be reading a different language...

then you had a :pooh: teacher, and that makes me sad. Anyone can understand chemistry if the teacher finds a way to explain it that resonates with the student.

I've always liked science, but I did really poorly in my high school science classes. My mom said that my high school biology teachers would be shocked to find out that's what I ended up getting into. But high school is a totally different environment than college. I don't think most people do a lot of learning in high school.

I competently understand about college vs high school, I have no idea how many different teachers told me I would never go to college... I did and went back and flipped them off when I was done too!

then you had a :pooh: teacher, and that makes me sad. Anyone can understand chemistry if the teacher finds a way to explain it that resonates with the student.

My GF is taking chemistry now, apparently I still can't figure it out... I know enough to do ok in the hobby but TRUST ME it took a long time to get this far and even now I don't know WHY I do things I just do what he internet tells me too....

Oh and I cancelled that big order with the 3 new fish, bunches of shrimp and CUC that I placed last week. I don't want to throw good money after bad at this point, with the condition that my tank is in. I will re-order them once things settle down. (I hope they give me my money back -- I'm waiting to hear back about the cancellation).

Well it's been over 4 weeks since the kalk overdose. Time for an update!

Things have settled down and corals are starting to heal and grow back. My loses were:

- duncan colony
- 3 lobo colonies
- several paly and zoa colonies and frags (including two very expensive paly frags :()
- huge cabbage leather (the oldest coral in my tank! Wahhhhh! :cry:)
- 1 acan colony
- 1 hand-sized chalice
- birdsnest
- hairy mille
- 2 urchins
- 4 shrimp
- all snails
- all crabs
- all starfish
- all ricordeas in my nano tank (OUCH! This hurts the most)

The remainder of the corals are clearly injured, a lot of skeleton exposed, a lot of receding flesh and bleaching, but I don't anticipate any more deaths, and I think the rest of them will grow back over time. The survivors are slowly looking better, day by day and I've tried to be very diligent about doing whatever I can to save the remainder of them.

Since my entire CUC was wiped out, I am going to the LFS today to restock. I've been very patient about replacing lost animals and haven't added anything since the crash! I wanted to be sure everything was back in order before risking some more money and lives.

Of course, any time something changes in a tank, you get the inevitable algae outbreak following. Luckily, the dinos seem to be gone, but I am getting hair algae on the back glass and powerheads now, so I think it is time to add a CUC back to the tank.

I hope to come home with some nice additions! And I will take some pictures of the recovery effort. It has been really hard, but I'm glad most of my corals are pulling through it.

So sorry, Biff. You've really been through the ringer with your tank lately. I'm really glad your tank has turned the corner and is healing!

C

Well I just got home from the LFS. They didn't have ANY inverts. None. So I didn't buy my CUC. But they said they were getting a shipment next week, so I'll go back.

I did pick up 8 little fraglets though. Pics to come!

I'm really glad to hear that everythings turning around. That really sucks to have had all those losses, especially the ones that you had just added right before the disaster.

Here are the frags I got today:

Blue chalice
IMG_4047.jpg

Two acans
IMG_4046.jpg

IMG_4045.jpg

Replacement duncan (not opened yet)
IMG_4048.jpg

Generic green zoas
IMG_4052.jpg

Mystery chalice
IMG_4053.jpg

Orange monti
IMG_4054.jpg

Neon favia
IMG_4055-1.jpg

As you can see, I can't wait to buy more snails so my sand will look white again... :(

Last edited:
Back