Biff's 90 Gallon Downgrade

Love the FTS! Your chromis is huge compared to mine ;)

I have two chromis. I started with 5 about 5 years ago, and have been down to 2 for about 2 years now. They were the biggest to begin with. They are definitely larger than what is normally sold in stores, but they are old.

I mean in the center of the tank... Not on the back.

I'm downgrading because the lighting for my 240 is too expensive, it's too much work to keep up and maintain, and I just don't like it anymore. I'm just going to transfer all my livestock from the 240 into the 90. And sell off the excess live rock. I don't want to move the 240 to my new house, so hopefully once I empty it out and clean it up, it will sell quickly.
If you were closer to Indiana I would give you 1000.00

Last edited:
You should be able to convert the photos on your camera

Yes but, if you let your camera convert the pics to jpeg, your camera will compress the image itself. Here's a quote from an article and a reason I shoot in RAW now.

First of all, did you know that JPEG is not an image format? It is actually a compression standard and compression is where things go bad. When you have your camera set to JPEG, whether it is Fine, Normal, or Basic, you are telling the camera to process the image however it sees fit and then throw away enough image data to make it shrink into a smaller space. But in doing so, you give up subtle image details that you will never get back in post-processing. Now that is an awfully simplified statement but still fairly accurate.

So what does RAW have to offer?

Well, first and foremost, RAW images are not compressed (there are some cameras that have a compressed RAW format but it is lossless compression which means there is no loss of actual image data).

RAW images also have a greater dynamic range than JPEG processed images. This means that you can recover image detail in the highlights and shadows that just aren’t available in JPEG processed images.

There is more color information in a RAW image because it is typically a 12, 14, or 16-bit image which means it contains more color information than a JPEG which is almost always 8-bits. More color information means more to work with and smoother changes. Kind of like the difference between performing surgery with a scalpel as opposed to a butcher’s knife. They’ll both get the job done but one will do less damage.

Sharpening a RAW image is more controlled because you are the one that is applying the setting according to the result you want to achieve. Once again, JPEG processing applies a standard amount of sharpening that you can not change after the fact. Once it is done, it’s done.

And that brings me to my final and possibly most important fact. A RAW file is your negative. No matter what you do to it, you won’t change it unless you save your file in a different format. This means that you can come back to that same file and try different processing settings to achieve differing results and never harm the original image. Make a change to your JPEG and accidentally save the file and guess what, you have a new original file and you will not ever get back to that first image.

Here are my new pipefish!

Sig, the yellow multibanded pipefish, and Edgar, the blue stripe pipefish. They have been at the LFS for two weeks, are eating frozen, and have been treated for parasites. I have a buddy for each one on order as well. Hopefully the LFS can get them in quickly.

DSC_0052-1.jpg

DSC_0053-1-1.jpg

DSC_0054-2.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

I convert them to jpg on my computer, but I compress them a lot (to under 100 kb each) to upload them to Photobucket. Or else it would take too long to post them. I'm sure that cuts down on the quality of the images significantly, but it's easier and more convenient for me to post them. :dunno:

Biff, those pipes are beautiful! I'm truly jealous.

I convert them to jpg on my computer, but I compress them a lot (to under 100 kb each) to upload them to Photobucket. Or else it would take too long to post them. I'm sure that cuts down on the quality of the images significantly, but it's easier and more convenient for me to post them. :dunno:

It does cut down on the quality but, you have much more control over how they compress when you do it with a program.

Biff those look so cute. Congrats! I think I want a couple to go into my Nano if they will work in there. What do you think? We recently lost our Spotted Puffer fish "Bubbles."

Bubbles, haha. What a great name for a puffer! I'm sorry he passed away.

The blue striped pipefish are supposed to be okay for tanks 30 gallons and larger. Blue striped are the smallest pipes available in the hobby, so any of the other ones will require a larger tank.

Here is Sig out in the open. Sig is a total rock star! He's a ham! He's a camera hog! I love it. He has spent all his time so far up front, and has been picking and nibbling at the rock nonstop. I'm very happy! Edgar, his little blue striped brother, has not come out of his cave since I added him to the tank :( Hopefully Edgar comes out soon so I can get some pics of him! THESE GUYS ARE SO COOL!! Whoever was my favorite fish in the tank previously had better watch out... There's some new competition!

DSC_0072-1.jpg

DSC_0070-1.jpg

DSC_0063-1.jpg

DSC_0054-3.jpg

So far the only problem is that Edgar won't come out from his cave!! :cry: Sig has already made it all the way to the other side of the tank and met the other fish. They are all completely ignoring him, which is good!

Biff, I can tell you that in my experience with horses, their cousins, males tend to be hermits and the females tend to be the extroverted types. My guys usually hang out in their "man cave." Could it be that one is a male and the other a female?

C

Back