Biff's 90 Gallon Downgrade

Biff, I can tell you that in my experience with horses, their cousins, males tend to be hermits and the females tend to be the extroverted types. My guys usually hang out in their "man cave." Could it be that one is a male and the other a female?

C

It's totally possible Catherine. I have no idea how to sex them. The blue striped is so small (only about 2 inches long) and I read that that species tends to be hiders.

The yellow multibanded is about 6 inches long, and when I have seen those in other people's tanks, they have always been out and about.

So it could be gender, or it could be differences in the species. Or it could be personalities too.

Good grief ... I had to start from page 120 something and catch up with your tank. Your tank is amazing to say the least. Great pics !! It is really colorful. I love the pipefish. Are there any fish you can't put them with ? I seen them at our LFS. I was worried about my Coral Beauty picking at it. She's a b*tch. You did a great job with your tank.

Thanks! I have a coral beauty, but she's/he's totally non-aggressive. I've had her for about 5 years, and she's big and fat. She's so passive, I've been considering adding a flame angel...

Pipefish don't do well with aggressive fish or ones that will bully them or pick on their tail. None of my fish have that temperament.

Biff don't the males have tiny little pouches like male Seahorses?

Yeah, but they are hard to see. It's apparently very difficult to sex pipefishes. Some sites said that the females have a tiny little beard on their chin that you can sometimes see with a magnifying glass! :lol:

Here is Sig out in the open. Sig is a total rock star! He's a ham! He's a camera hog! I love it. He has spent all his time so far up front, and has been picking and nibbling at the rock nonstop. I'm very happy! Edgar, his little blue striped brother, has not come out of his cave since I added him to the tank :( Hopefully Edgar comes out soon so I can get some pics of him! THESE GUYS ARE SO COOL!! Whoever was my favorite fish in the tank previously had better watch out... There's some new competition!

DSC_0072-1.jpg

DSC_0070-1.jpg

DSC_0063-1.jpg

DSC_0054-3.jpg
What kind of pipefish is this

LOVE the new pics. They look amazing, Biff! I miss my corals SOOOO much, glad they're getting nice and big. Can't WAIT to get back and start my tank back up, and get a few frags from those colonies! Armor of God colony is HUGE!

The pipefish are so cool!

Back