Biff's 90 Gallon Downgrade

UGH!! I'm SO UPSET RIGHT NOW.

This morning when I went to turn on my tank lights, I saw that my giant colony of blue candy canes (probably about 70+ polyps) was not doing so great! Seen here in better days, at the top, in the center:

DSC_0105.jpg

When I fed the tank last night, everything looked fine. This morning, easily half of the heads were dead and covered in brown jelly! WTFFFFFFFFFF?!?!

I couldn't do anything this morning, but I have 20 gallons ready for a water change tonight, I'm going to do an iodine dip on the remainder of the heads. All my other corals look fine! This happened in one night! I don't know what's going on! Shoot.

Last time I checked (about 2 weeks ago), water quality was "fine". :lol: I know how that word goes over, nitrates were 0. In any case, this settles it, I'm building a freaking algae scrubber into my fuge this weekend. Just got to get off my butt and stop being so lazy and do it.

Hopefully my poor candy canes will recover, I'll take pics of the carnage when I get home. :(

That has so far happened to every LPS I've tried. I'm hoping it doesn't happen to my candy canes otherwise I'm doen with LPS.

That has so far happened to every LPS I've tried. I'm hoping it doesn't happen to my candy canes otherwise I'm doen with LPS.

Really? I've always had great luck with LPS. I have a bunch of different LPS and the only times I've ever lost anything to brown jelly, I could usually trace it back to some sort of physical abuse I accidentally inflicted on the coral!

The coral looks effing terrible. I want to smash the rest of it with a hammer just because I'm so pissed at it. :lol: It was HUGE before, now it's all shitty looking! I almost started yelling at it when I saw it, like it did this to me on purpose! :)

In other news, I just got home with my TBS order. Richard sent WAY more than I ordered! Including several pieces of live rock! :bounce:

I have also decided to get rid of the giant hairy mushroom rock that is in the center of my tank. This is my clowns' home, but those things are so noxious. I can't keep up with them, and they sting to death anything they touch. I have been keeping them off my bubble coral for a while now, and they keep growing back. So I'm going to ditch the entire rock. I was just thinking, "Well what am I going to put in the rock's place?" when I opened up my first TBS box and found the live rock Richard had sent me! Tonight is tank work night. :grumble:

Hey Biff, what'd you order for TBS?
Make sure you post those pics of your scrubber build, I'm very interested in seeing how you do it!

I don't think you need to ditch the hair mushroom rock. You just need a bigger tank so you can isolate them on their own island!

Hey Biff, what'd you order for TBS?
Make sure you post those pics of your scrubber build, I'm very interested in seeing how you do it!

I don't think you need to ditch the hair mushroom rock. You just need a bigger tank so you can isolate them on their own island!

Hahaha. No tank upgrades on the horizon for now. But I did post pics of my TBS order in my seahorse thread (tank showcase).

I didn't get around to working on the 90 last night. I was so busy putting away all the TBS stuff.

I did dip the candy canes, and they still look like crap, but luckily they are still the only things in the tank that look bad. I'll finish up on the big tank tonight.

Long time no update. :)

I'm going to be building and adding an automatic water change system and auto top off system to my tank, following Dennis' thread here, and his guidance:

https://www.livingreefs.com/automatic-water-change-system-t24727.html

I'm just too freaking lazy to do water changes myself, and my RODI unit is all the way across the house from my tanks, and I hate that I always have a pair of 25 gallon trash cans in my kitchen, and plastic tubing stretching across the floor, and I hate having buckets of salt everywhere, and I hate, hate, hate everything about how my current setup works in regards to water changes and top off water, and I don't want that to get in the way of my tank being the best it can be.

So the fresh and salt water reservoirs are going to go outside my house, up against the wall near where my tanks are inside. The RODI unit is going to go outside as well. And I am going to plumb everything through the wall.

I will be ordering the parts this weekend.

:D

Relax Biff...now take a deep breath with me *inhaling/exhaling* now whooo sahhhhh. :)

That sounds like a great idea...keep us updated. :)

Back