Biff's 90 Gallon Downgrade

I'm going to be doing the first water change on this tank today. Woohoo! I was really bad about water changes in my last tank, and I'm not going to let that happen with this tank. I'll keep it small -- probably about 8 gallons or so.

Well, if you include sump and fuge, it's not 10%. But NDB was always mad that we had several 35-gallon trash cans in the living room for my top off water, so now I am limiting the amount of water I keep on hand to two 5-gallon buckets, which fits in the stand and is out of sight. So in the name of keeping peace and harmony in my relationship, my water changes will have to be smaller.

I have a very good friend with a 240 gallon tank. He has had this tank set up for over six years. It is a beautiful tank, full of SPS. He changes five gallons of water a week, every week. Thats all. If I did not know him I would not believe it. So to say 10% makes me wonder? mmmm? How loud is the drain Biff? Do you notice it?

Well, I want to aim for 10% because my fish bioload is still pretty high. I did move most of the fish from my 240 into a tank that's less than half the volume.

The drain isn't loud at all. Put in a Durso and it's pretty silent.

Here are pictures of my fuge, skimmer and sump. I eventually plan to incorporate Santa Monica's algae skimmer into the fuge.

IMG_2716.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

Thats a lot of power flowing through those 2 tiny brown extension cords. :yikesu:

You REALLY should go to the big box and get a couple fat cords to carry all that electrical load. If you want to test them - just grab one and wrap your hand around it. If it's even slightly above ambient air temp it's too hot. If it's body temp you got a MAJOR problem. You're pulling too many watts through those little tiny cords. I think you got a serious fire risk there.

A better solution would be a couple GFCI 6-way power strips with fat cords.

The best thing to do would be wire a couple 4-way GFCI outlets from the breaker panel.

They are not warm at all. Each of the brown cords has two Koralias and one of the shop lamps plugged into it.

Is that too much?

My lights are plugged into the next room, and all my pumps are plugged into the next wall. The brown cords aren't connected to any of my "big" things.

Biff that's pretty amazing how you set up everything. It looks like it would even be better than if you had bought an all in one sump. I like how you refugium is separate. You really did a great job. I agree about the extension cord. No sense in taking risks.

But what I'm saying is there's not a lot of power flowing through those extension cords. Only two powerheads and a 23-watt fuge light. They are cold to the touch.

Thanks for the compliment though, I really like the setup in the closet, with the tank on the other side of the wall. I'm glad that was able to work out for us.

You know your probably right about the extension cords. If they are cold then you should be fine. :) We guys just like to over react sometimes.

Jeez sorry. Was just trying to help. Didn't know you only had low wattage stuff plugged in. Ya gotta admit - from the pics it look dangerous.

Goodnight!

Jeez sorry. Was just trying to help. Didn't know you only had low wattage stuff plugged in. Ya gotta admit - from the pics it look dangerous.

Oh yeah I know. It looks like a death trap, especially with all the wires being right above the water like that. But NDB does not want tons of crap plugged in next to the tank, where we can see it in the living room, so I've taken as much of it as possible through the wall. I've got to come up with a better system though. Those stick-on clips that were holding the cords to the wall have been unsticking. I'll work on it, just for you, RC!!

Back