Biff's 90 Gallon Downgrade

I have a yellow tailed damsel and a blue damsel. They were two of the first fish I ever got (my first fish were the blue damsel, yellow tailed damsel, the large tomato clown and the yellow tang -- I've had them all for 5 years now!). The yellow tailed damsel has always been a perfect angle, no problems whatsoever. The blue damsel was very aggressive at first, but mellowed out over time.

Very nice Mandarin Biff.

May I ask what its eating / your feeding it, I know they can be a pain at times

I've had my mandarin for about 4 years now, and she's actually quite big (at least 3 inches long). She eats pods (I've always had a fuge to provide a continuous source of live food), but she also eats frozen foods. She doesn't come out to eat with the other fish during feeding time, but I have seen her bite at pieces that float back to where she lives (in the back corner of my tank, where the pic was taken). Very rarely does she come out from that back corner. I see her out and about in the tank once a month or so.

You're right Biff that wrasse is a real dog! :mrgreen:

Well, she did look very different under the Petco lights. She was completely white and gray in the store, with no color at all. I was very pleased at how she colored up when I brought her home. I also soaked her food in some vitamins before I fed her, and she's getting something other than brine now so I expect she'll start looking even better.

Looks great! I don't see any of your beloved HA or mojanos.LOL Fish look nice and healthy too. The shrooms are very nice. I love the supermans. What's the shroom in the fourth pic down from the yellow tang. Rhodactus (sp)? Looks wicked!

Looks great! I don't see any of your beloved HA or mojanos.LOL Fish look nice and healthy too. The shrooms are very nice. I love the supermans. What's the shroom in the fourth pic down from the yellow tang. Rhodactus (sp)? Looks wicked!

The ones with the X in the middles? Those were sold to me as ricordea yumas, even though I put up an argument because they so obviously aren't. I have no idea what they are, I've never seen anything like them. So far, I've gotten two babies off of the main large one, so I'm very happy! The babies are about the size of dimes though, so they've got a ways to go.

Yeah, that's the one. It kinda looks like a Rhodactis or hairy shroom with really cool coloration. I love how it looks like a startfish is on it.LOL Very nice.

Thanks everyone. I still have majanos, I just make sure to to a quick once-over all my rocks every couple days and kill them as soon as I see them. It seems to be working so far, they are definitely under control.

As for that X mushroom, I have no idea what it is. It's too bad it's brown -- I could sell it for a whole lot if it had cooler colors!

So my updated fish list is:

2 pajama cardinals
1 yellow tang
2 green chromis
1 green mandarin
2 tomato clowns
1 sixline wrasse
1 coral beauty
1 blue damsel
1 yellow tailed damsel
1 fairy wrasse

The only fish I want to add from here on out are a leopard wrasse and pink tailed trigger to replace my beloved departed Boo Boo and Tangent. And maybe a lawnmower blenny.

There are a few that are reef safe. Niger triggers, blue chin/throat triggers and pink tail triggers are usually reef safe. I had Tangent for years and he was a perfect little tank mate, never touched a thing that I told him not to. He was by far, one of my most favorite fish that I have ever had. You should have seen the way I cried and bawled when he died. NDB said, "If you get this upset over a fish, I'm gonna hate to have to see it when the cats and dogs die."

Hey Biff -
Nice looking pics; one of those tomato's looks pretty dark, I thought he was a cinnamon! And those new purple zoas are fantastic.

Not to question the grandmaster, but isn't that kind of a high stocking list for a 90 gal?

Not to question the grandmaster, but isn't that kind of a high stocking list for a 90 gal?

The small fish don't count!!! ;)

Haha. Yes, it is a high stocking list. But I had to squeeze all the fish in my 240 into a tank that was nearly 1/3 of its size. But, I have a skimmer rated for 300 gallons on my tank, I have an 18-gallon refugium filled with macroalgae and a 40-gallon sump. So my water volume and filtration is large enough to handle them. Also, they get along fine, so there are no territoriality issues.

Back