Biff's Seahorse Tank

Biff,
whats the "red tree thing" in your tank?
the bigger one planted on the bottom?

It's a red sea fan. When I bought it, it was all red. But this morning when I turned the lights on, it had tons of white polyps. Like this:

seapic01-06_se04.jpg

It's soooooo pretty!!

The tank looks fantastic! How many is too many leathers?

I don't know. I'm going to find out!

I think with all the water changes that tank is going to need, the leather toxins arent going to be able to sit around and put out stuff before new water is going to be added.

I'm planning on weekly water changes. I'm also considering running carbon 24/7. So I'll try a few things out.

I'm sure you know this already....I've got a yellow Gorgonian..Those thing have a voracious appetite..Feed him zoo plankton and he'll grow. If not he'll stop flowering.

I'm sure you know this already....I've got a yellow Gorgonian..Those thing have a voracious appetite..Feed him zoo plankton and he'll grow. If not he'll stop flowering.

I fed plankton and cyclopeeze to the polyps on the sponge and gorg last night. I will probably start targeting them.

I so want some Sea Fans now. :(

Sorry, I got the only one in the store. :( But I do have a yellow one coming in the mail for me.

The contrast between the red sea fan and the black sand is really cool. Great looking tank!

Thanks!

Biff, are you planning on putting your yellow finger gorg in your seahorse tank? They are listed on the seahorse.org site as being "Threat Level 4" for seahorses, that means, according to seahorse.org they are extremely dangerous to horses. I've got an email in to Pege Giwonja about this so I'll let you know what he says.

C

Biff, are you planning on putting your yellow finger gorg in your seahorse tank? They are listed on the seahorse.org site as being "Threat Level 4" for seahorses, that means, according to seahorse.org they are extremely dangerous to horses. I've got an email in to Pege Giwonja about this so I'll let you know what he says.

C

Oops I was mistaken -- I didn't get a yellow finger gorg, I got a yellow branching sponge. Sorry. You are right Cath! The red sea fan I have is listed as Threat Level 0.

Last edited:
Oops I was mistaken -- I didn't get a yellow finger gorg, I got a yellow branching sponge. Sorry. You are right Cath! The red sea fan I have is listed as Threat Level 0.

:)

Little Fish and I talked about this a little last night. We are both skeptical about the dangers of the yellow finger gorg to seahorses. It is best, though to check it out before you endanger them. They get sores pretty easily, bristle worm stings and stinging corals can leave a nasty blister that will wear on their immune system and open the door for ick and other infections. Hopefully, I'll hear back soon about my email.

C

Hey, Biff, your grass is in wrong. That's a runner, you want to lay it down and barely cover it with sand, the grass grows up and out of it. You've put it in sideways.

C

Hey, Biff, your grass is in wrong. That's a runner, you want to lay it down and barely cover it with sand, the grass grows up and out of it. You've put it in sideways.

C

Sarah just got schooled. HAHA Just kidding! Get that grass planted right :)

I just received my email from Pete, he says the yellow finger is ok with horses but it is difficult to keep in the aquarium because of it's nutritional requirements and extra feedings.

C

Thats what i thought P.

That is what i dislike about that guide, some of those animals have a 4 because, at the time, they had a very poor survival record in captivity.

4 - these specimens either have no business in a seahorse tank, or should not be kept in captive systems due to failure to thrive.

But they never say why they got the 4 on the individual specimens.

Back