Big Problem

Piratefish

SPS Freak
Sooooo, I was gone snowborading for 4 days and had a friend feed my tank. Oh doesn't it always start like this...

Well now I have brown stringy algae everywhere. What the hell is it? Dinos? The water smells not normal. Im mixing up 25 gal of SW tomorrow. What else should I do?

That sucks....did you pre-measure the food for him? I always premeasure the fish' daily feedings, so there's no chance of accidental over feeding, unless they put in 2 doses on purpose. Is the stuff mucousy? I don't know how fast dinos can form.

Hope it's not dino's. I'd syphon out as much as you can with a water change. Turn our the lights for a few days and then do another large water change the same day you put the lights back on. If there is any algae left over make sure to syphon out again.

That sucks....did you pre-measure the food for him? I always premeasure the fish' daily feedings, so there's no chance of accidental over feeding, unless they put in 2 doses on purpose. Is the stuff mucousy? I don't know how fast dinos can form.

Yes its stringy and snotty, some of it is long strings maybe 4 or5 inches.

Could a power outage do this? we had a storm while I was gone. Everyone in the tank is happy.

What causes DInos?

Same thing just happened to me! =(

It just appeared out of no where... its in my aquapod :(
Only 2 fish in there... and no overfeeding...

I did a 2 day black out when I noticed just a little and first day with lights back on its back.
Today is day 2 with lights back on.... i'll get a pic so you can see >_<

PS a few of my corals are looking kinda pissed.... GSP polyps haven't been opening up fully in a few days... thats usually a good indicator something is wrong...

100_1925.jpg

Heck, that spot where mine is growing is right off the end of my powerhead blowing right at it >_>

U can kinda see it in my pic, blowing at the green mili right in front of it...

Grrrr, this stuff is REALLY pissing me off!

I still have it.

I did water changes Siphoned out, 4-5 day blackout and another water change. Then about a week later it came back!

My tank is really doing pretty bad :/ few corals have died some SPS bleaching :/

Gonna try the process again but the corals really are not liking the lack of sunlight :(

And to top it off and make it that much harder to take care of, I really don't have any time to spend on my tanks right now... =(

Grrrr, this stuff is REALLY pissing me off!

I still have it.

I did water changes Siphoned out, 4-5 day blackout and another water change. Then about a week later it came back!

My tank is really doing pretty bad :/ few corals have died some SPS bleaching :/

Gonna try the process again but the corals really are not liking the lack of sunlight :(

And to top it off and make it that much harder to take care of, I really don't have any time to spend on my tanks right now... =(

Im sorry to here that. I did lose one green velvet Acro frag in the blackout. :pooh: It was starting to encrust the top of the plug.

Are you doing a large water change after the blackout? I was told this is a big part in battling this stuff. I did not find this out until it was too late. Now Im back to square one.

Good luck

Have you considered Kalk dosing? Are you doing any water changes DURING the blackout? As algae dies, it releases spores into the water to try to save itself. If you're not doing changes during the blackout, the spores spread even further around the tank. How is your scrubber working? You should see in an increase in growth during the blackouts. Are your blackouts COMPLETE blackouts, or is there still light coming from a window somewhere? I have battled dinos and won, but it wasn't easy.

Back