Bio-diversity

Dakwan

Reefing newb
In my tank all the liverock (got an existing setup) i think may have started out as dead rock and then been seeded with just a bacteria booster or a piece of table shrimp or something...

There is no visible life in the tank other than the fish... no algae growing on the rock except for some brown algae i'm assuming is diatoms... probably from high nutrients since i dont have my skimmer going yet.

Now i'd love for my tank to have some beneficial hitch hikers like different pods or worms but i'm also thrilled with the fact that i'm not having to worrying about anything like aiptasia...

Will i eventually get more wanted and unwanted life in the tank just by adding the pieces of rock that coral comes on?

Should i consider myself lucky or unlucky?

How long has your rock been in the tank?

I had some *dead* pieces of rock that are now growing all sorts of feather dusters, brittle stars, worms, and tons of numerous other things on their surfaces. These rocks were brown and boring for a long time, and these things are booming a year later. Give it some time if the rock is new, it's amazing to see what keeps showing up.

+1 Zissou
And yeah,you'll get some hitch hikers every once in a while.Maybe a couple of small feather dusters that start reproducing,pods.Getting small hitch hikers on frags is fairly common.

My tank is over 2 years old and I find new life forms (usually inverts) in my tank all the time!

Ditto. I had dead rock (so I thought) when I first started and was desperate for that entire ecosystem thing. Have it now, after 2 years. Still occasionally will spot something I swear wasn't there before. Just takes a lot of time. You'll get there!

Back