Biodarwin's 55 gallons of glory

I switched up the aquascaping to be more coral friendly. I moved the rocks so that it is more slanted, the bottoms rocks closer to the glass, the top rocks further away. I moved the left side bottoms a bit closer to back so I would have more floor space for bottom oriented corals. I also left a good sized space on the right hand side for the Wellsophyllia that I want. In addition I left a good sized spot in middle-upper for a yellow fiji leather.

Finally talked to the guy I will be buying the light fixture from. I will be picking it up tomorrow. Hes gonna throw in some mushrooms as well. His new MH's are a bit too much for them.

I have my new light fixture and it is installed!!!
The lights absolutely blow me away. I ended up with some frags as well.

Newlights003.jpg

Newlights005.jpg

Newlights011.jpg

Here is a overview of the frags I got:

Newlights023.jpg

The guy was nice enough to throw in this rock as well:

Newlights026.jpg

I really love the color in this frag:

Newlights008.jpg

I finally got a grasp on the manual focus of my camera. Here are some close up shots. While not perfect I am definitely getting a lot better.

nuclear_green.jpg

purple_death.jpg

Most of this is not opening anymore. If it doesn't open up in a week, I will most likely frag the one good polyp and hope it does well since it is my favorite one.
scary_armour.jpg

I was very happy with this picture.
tinacloseup.jpg

Here is the start of my rubble pile. After re-arranging my rock to make room for corals I had extra rock that I couldn't place anywhere. So I got chisel like they use to cut bricks and a hammer and have been breaking pieces off. I am making the pieces big enough that I could still syphon out trapped stuff / use a power head to blow it out from time to time.
rubble_pile.jpg

Zoanthid Growth pictures

Here are some pictures of my nicer zoanthids.

Before = 03/08/09
After = 04/01/09

Nuclear Green
Before:
nuclear_green.jpg

After:
misc008.jpg

Purple Death
Before:
purple_death.jpg

After:
misc011.jpg

It has been a while since I have updated my tank thread. Here are some of the critters I have gotten in the last few weeks.

Hammer Coral:
misc018-1.jpg

Zoanthids:
misc035.jpg

misc030.jpg

misc014.jpg

misc037.jpg

Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse:
misc018.jpg

misc021.jpg

Banded Brittle Starfish:
misc006.jpg

Looks like your zoas are multiplying. They are one of my favoriite corals. I just wish I could get more colors around here.

Thanks everyone for the comments!!!

The tank has definitely went through same changes in the last month. My first cyano outbreak happened and I am still fighting that. For the first time I saw copeds on my glass! I'm sure they have been in the rocks for awhile but 2 days ago was the first I have ever saw them! As I am contemplating what to add next to the tank here is a list of the current inhabitants.

Here is my current stock list:

2 Misbar Clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse
1 Banded Brittle Star
1 itty bitty tiny brittle star(He came with the big one)
Unknown amount of blue and red hermits, Cerith/Nassarius snails
5 Spiny Star Astreas

I really want a Kole tang, but I am struggling with the idea.Im 90% sure I will have a bigger aquarium before the years out, but I know your not suppose to "plan" for something you don't already have. If I did get the hole tang it would be the last fish that I would get. If I dont get the Kole Tang, I will probably get a midas blenny and then some other good looking semi-agressive fish.

Last edited:
I'd say go for it (the kole tang) if that's a fish that you really want. If you buy a small to medium sized one, it can live in a 55-gallon tank for quite a while, happily.

Back