Biodarwin's 55 gallons of glory

no that would be great for your tank. you may have some [problems with the clowns since they have been in the tank for a while. i would rearange the rock than add the new fish. this just helps to force the clowns to make new territory so the may be less agressive to new additions

I think the Lineatus Fairy Wrasse will have to go. I know both of wrasse's can go in my 55, but I've read a lot of places that state both shouldn't be in a 55 at the same time. So back to the drawing board. I really want a beautiful centerpiece fish to really define the tank. Guess its back to google.

So its been an interesting 7 days here. Last week I added more rock to my setup. The next day my nitrates were in the 100's. Ammonia and nitrites still at 0. I went ahead and ditched the "Wheels" on my Biowheel filter, but it is still running carbon. I did a 20% water change and the seemed to drop me into the 50's. Did another 20% change Monday and the nitrates have been holding study in the 30's. I will probably resume normal weeklt 10% water changes now that it is somewhat in check.

I am also looking at converting my Biowheel 350 into a refugium. Would a refugium this big even help? If I did convert it I couldn't really run carbon in it. I could definitelly house a small bit of live rubble, a 4" sandbed and some chaeto in it. What do you guys think?

Since it has 2 chambers, maybe one chamber will have live rubble and be used for pods, the other compartment can have a 4" sand bed and chaeto.

Got a new fish today! I had to snap a picture of him in the bag because I have heard the Royal Gamma Basslets like to hide a lot. He entered the tank after 45 minutes of acclimation and has not been seen since.

royalgamma.jpg

He just came out for a bit but wouldn't let me get close enough for a picture. I have heard a lot of different opinions about their aggressiveness. Hes a pretty small guy right now, probably 1.5 inches or so. I am probably adding 3 more fish in this order. Red Velvet Wrasse, Midas Blenny, Banggai Cardinal. Hopefully in 3 week intervals. LFS said as long I get them in before 6 months I should probably be fine.

I've seen those Grammas that were as timid as all get out,where others were very personable and would watch every move you made around the tank,then others that was just plain mean.More often than not,they are an awesome addition to the tank.
And your stock list should work fine.

I also agree that your fish list sounds well planned out and should work. Be sure to post a pic of him in his new home once he comes out of hiding!

Thanks for the comments. My aquarium is about 94% covered right now. I plan to make that 100% over the next few weeks in anticipation of the wrasse's arrival. So far, the clowns are acting nice to our new addition. They both kind of looked at each other and went their seperate ways. I did manage to catch a few pictures but I am not used to taking pictures at that distance from the aquarium so they didn't turn out as well as they could have. I will catch a good one tonight and get it posted.

Well she definitely wasn't shy when it was feeding time. The best name I have came up with so far has been Tina or Tina Two Tone. Still mulling over that one.

royalgammafeeding.jpg

Back