Black crap on my sand!

Here is a picture I just took. Kinda blue, but you can see what it looks like WITH a 1400 gph Koralia pointed directly at it!

100_1057.jpg

Is there any way you can get a non-blue picture? I can't really see the spots you are talking about very well - it just looks like some clumped sand in areas...

I am running the dimmable version of the Cheap Chinese ones. (I'm very happy with them BTW) Yes, this situation started prior to installing the new lights. These DO seem to have made it worse. Thats why I am suspecting an algae problem.

The "crumpled up sand" is the issue. Here is another shot prior to the LED install.

103_1015.jpg

The brown, which I figured we're dynos, is long gone. Could the black be dynos using something else to build themselves with? Something black? Silly I know......

Could it be some sort of fungus? Is there any type of marine fungus that lives on sand? I dunno, but the black color makes me think of fungus...

Also, as for the photo, I'd just suggest getting a much closer-up and non-blue pic if you decide to send it to wetwebmedia.

I googled black marine fungus and all I came up with was a type of lichen that appears to grow on sand that looked a little bit like your pictures, but it also looked like it grew more out of water in tidal zones, not deep under the water. It seems so odd to me that your black whatever-it-is only grows on the sand and not the rocks. Don't most algaes spread to the rocks pretty quickly even if they start on the sand?

According to WWM I have too clean water. I need to raise my pH to 8.6 to shock the system to kill this strain of what they think is cyano. It's possible it is algae though. Either way they say I need to kick up the pH. I also (shudder) need to let the water get a little dirty or switch my coral preferances over to SPS corals.

So how do I kick up the pH to that level when it's sitting a 7.9 - 8.0 right now? What effect will it have on my current corals and livestock?

So I scooped out a big bowl full of sand today. Didn't figure it would hurt since I've been messing with the sand so much lately. It is green outside the tank. It is not slimy, it is about 1/16 inch thick at it's worst, but once exposed to air it pretty much disappears. My understanding, in the most simple terms, is that it is a kind of cyano that is growing in the sand since it is where the nutrians are. It not on the sand because my water is very clean.

I'm returning to my no filter sock, no GFO, no carbon setup I used trying to grow Zoas. As much as it pains me to have dirty water. I'll be testing daily knowing me. Do you think this stuff will hurt my dragonette? If I just let it grow until I figure out how to raise my pH to 8.6! I may still do a sand swap. WWM suggested that I convert to a DSB. What are the feelings on this? I've never read good things about them. Only bad, but only the horror stories get posted.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I don't have an answer to your question. I will send a link to this thread to some other people that are more adept at the chemistry questions; maybe they will know more about it!

Last edited:
That's so interesting that they think its a type of cyano even though it doesn't feel slimy. It does make sense that it would be growing in the sand becuase that's where the nutrients are given how clean your water is. As for raising pH, I've read something in the hyposalinity treatment instructions about putting baking soda in the oven, which purifies it to a bicarbonate (I don't recall the exact chemical compound atm) and you can then dissolve a little in tank water and slowly add a tiny bit to bring your pH up. Maybe you could try a similar method to raise the salinity in your tank? Read the hyposalinity treatment sticky in the fish disease section of LR for the info.

Have you emailed WWM back and told them that it looks green when removed from the tank, and dissolves upon contact with air? That might give them more info to help identify it. [I'm having brief flashes to the tv show "House" with a big white board as they narrow down symptoms to identify the diease LOL]

Also, it might not hurt to slowly siphon your sand out at this point - it its growing in the sand because that's where the nutrients are, then might as well take away the source.... just a thought!

I'm thinking along the same line when it comes to the sand. I figure to remove some each week with water changes then put some back in once I'm done. Maybe I'll go with the black sand this time. I even saw a fella who put RED gravel in a SW tank. Looked pretty neat but I couldn't imagine the up keep on that!

As far a WWM, I did tell them about its appearance out of the tank. Thats what made them feel like it was a strain of cyano. They, he, Bob, said that it would take a microscope to figure it out. I'm not a biologist so I think thats out!

If your going to raise your PH to 8.6, use this Reef Chemistry Calculator for the correct dosing.
And yes, just put a box of baking soda in the oven for an hour at 450 degrees.

As for your livestock, I don't think I would run the risk if it was my tank. I don't know that , that high of a PH would hurt anything if raised slowly.But I don't know that it won't kill everything either. I'd be extremely nervous about it.

As for the deep sand bed. I've seen to many crash when the sand got inadvertently because of something disturbing the sand. And it doesn't take much.
I personally would have sand deep enough to cover the glass and thats it.

Last edited:
Back