Black Widow, Pesticides and LR

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
Black Widow, Pesticides and LR

A friend brought two 5 pound pieces of coral rock back she found on the beach. I went to get them in her backyard but there was Black Widow nest in the rock so she sprayed the whole thing with pesticides. Is there any reliable way to get all the pesticide out of the rock?

Hmmm, how much money do you have invested in your live stock?

Dont risk it !

But if you are a gambling man you could google the pesticides and look up their toxicity and half life?

I would not use it. Pesticides can stick around for decades!

She should have used diatomaceous earth. It's all natural (made from diatoms actually) and is even more effective than chemical pesticides at killing insects and spiders. It's what I use, since I have so many pets. It's so safe, you can rub it on your dogs to kill fleas, and can put it in their food.

I did not know that Biff...I learned something new today. :)

Obviously some are worse than others, but the bad ones can have long lasting effects. It just doesn't seem worth the risk to me for a few pounds of rock that were free in the first place.

Obviously some are worse than others, but the bad ones can have long lasting effects. It just doesn't seem worth the risk to me for a few pounds of rock that were free in the first place.
+10000000000000000:^:
They might look nice in flower garden though.and yay a garden with no spiders thats a plus
:bounce:

Oh I guess its not that bad.
The absorbent qualities of diatomite can result in a significant drying of the hands if handled without gloves. The flux-calcined form contains a highly crystalline form of silica, resulting in sharp edges. The sharpness of this version of the material makes it dangerous to breathe and a dust mask is recommended when working with it.
The type of hazard posed by inhalation depends on the form of the silica. Crystalline silica poses a serious inhalation hazard because it can cause silicosis. Amorphous silica can cause dusty lungs, but does not carry the same degree of risk as crystalline silica. Natural or dried diatomite generally contains very low percentages of crystalline silica. Diatomite produced for pool filters is treated with high heat (calcining) and a fluxing agent (soda ash), causing the formerly amorphous silicon dioxide to assume its crystalline form.
The crystalline silica content of the dust's particulate is regulated in the United States by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and there are guidelines for the maximum amounts allowable in the product and in the air near the breathing zone of workers.

Back