Blonde nassos dying

Lesely

Reefing newb
Hi. Hopeing for some help. Have introduced 2 blonde nasso tangs in the last fortnight and both have died after 72 hours. Have acclimatised both approx. 2 hours. First 24 hrs eating swimming active.',then start staying in one spot not interested in food and within the next. 48 hours are dead ! Just incase you misunderstand they were introduced a week apart not together. I only want one ! 1000 liter 7 foot tank 150kg live rock. Lots if hiding spots. Calm tank have not been picked on except followed round by hippo tang. (Baby). Parameters Ammonia nitrite both 0. Nitrate 0.02 phos 0.02 cal 420 alk 9.8 mag 1350. Rodi water Got both fish from different shops just incase first one was from bad supplier. Any ideas. ? Thanks

How are you acclimating them? What else do you have for stock and how long have they been in there? How big are the fish (the nasso)?

Drip acclimate for approx 2 hour. Existing stock (all under 3inches) blue hippo. Yellow tang x2 . Coral beauty. Flame angel. Green dragonet pair. Copperband butterfly. The nasso I bought were approximately 3 inches. All existing stock been in there for 2-7 months added gradually over time.

This is just my personal preference but I don't drip acclimate. In my mind it seems it causes even more stress by using a 2 hour process.

IME with a Naso they are pretty hardy. Since you got two from different places with the same result there are a few possibilities----- you got unlucky and picked up two unhealthy fish that didn't ship well or something to do with acclimation. It could even be a combination of the two. The only other thing is if they were being hassled by other tank mates.

Sometimes fish just die and we never figure out why which is one of the really sucky things about this hobby.
Sorry for your losses and best of luck with your next purchase.

Just thought I would update you on the Nasso. After losing 2( still no idea why) we went looking last week for another. We found 2 that we liked a lot, great colour, eating and swimming actively but from 2 different places. 1 blonde nasso and 1 lipstick. Couldnt decided which one to take so alas we bought both.
They have not been in tank for 4 days, eating, swimming but best of all doing well together.
None of the other fish have picked on the either, so very excited they are doing well !

Back