Snails keep dying.

Smitty

Reef pro
I'm getting a lil frustrated and this is mind boggling...three times over the last three weeks now I've bought a cuc package, and each time, the snails seem to become paralyzed immediately and eventually die. I've spent approx $150 bucks on snails and crabs lately and only a few reef hermit crabs are surviving. I don't understand because my fish are doing very well and happy, my corals are fully open, including great polyp extension from the sps' corals. No nitrates, nitrates, 78° temp, undetectable phos, 400 cal and 8 alk, 1.025 salinity. I also don't feel any current in the tank and have unplugged everything for a few hrs to make sure. So I'm really confused on what's going on with my tank that's killing all inverts. The only thing I can think of is my mag being high from me dosing Kent M magnesium, but I've stopped now...the mag just tested at 2430 ppm.

This is odd brother I had this the last week with my 30g. all my snails and crabs died my water tested fine for all I could test for. I qt'd my corals in a spare tote they were fine but all of my inverts toast this happens to me every summer. and it leaves me puzzled.

Yeah, it is odd Kurt, and sorry to hear that you're having issues also. I did done research this morning, and it looks like my high magnesium is the culprit. Evidently, it affects inverts. Good thing I ran out of Kent m, and I'll stop dosing it from here on out.

Yeah, it is odd Kurt, and sorry to hear that you're having issues also. I did done research this morning, and it looks like my high magnesium is the culprit. Evidently, it affects inverts. Good thing I ran out of Kent m, and I'll stop dosing it from here on out.

This may have been my issue as well. The 30 is no longer set up but good to know. now I have a 4g Pico Zoa garden.

Sorry to hear that, buddy, but I'm glad yall figured it out.

At least it was snail's, though, and not an irreplaceable fish.

Yeah...I'm bummed I spent so much money on snails lately, but I'm glad I didn't lose all my corals and fish. It's a learning experience I guess.

Are you sure your mag test is right? I only thought it read up to 1500+? I would think you would need a full gallon of mag to achieve that in your system. I put a 1/2gallon in my system and it only raised it 600ppm in a month

Are you sure your mag test is right? I only thought it read up to 1500+? I would think you would need a full gallon of mag to achieve that in your system. I put a 1/2gallon in my system and it only raised it 600ppm in a month

I'm pretty sure...I use salifert test kit, and the chart only goes up to 1500, but doubling the test syringe after the initial 1500 will give you higher readings. I've been doing magnesium for awhile now to combat bryopsis. But I wasn't monitoring the levels...my mistake.

Have you tried snails from one of the other stores? Maybe the one you usually frequent got a bad batch?

Yes sir...I got my first large order from reef 2 go, and then a few days later I went to Aquatica, and then a few days after that I tried animal krackers.

Back