Bonding acrylic sheets

BL1

When tank manufacturers or companies like lifereef make their tanks and sumps, how do they glue them together? Are they using heat or chemically bonding them? In either case, is this some process that we can replicate in house?

I've thought about asking the guys at lifereef but, I'm not sure they'd want to share their fabrication methods.

I think most people use a substance called Weld-On. If I'm not mistaken, it uses heat and chemicals.
I've heard of people using weld-on, I was wondering if the companies making products for the consumer were using the same/similar/or completely different products/methods in their fabrication though.

From what I understand, it is a solvent type solution similar to the PVC glue. It will actually disolve and bond the two pieces together.

Weld-on #16. Available at most home supply stores. It's clear and you apply it with a small paint brush. It's water thin. It melts and fuses the 2 pieces together. Tape or clamp for at least 1/2 hr for the initial set. It takes 24hrs for full bond.

Back