Bow Back Tank?

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
So I'm getting a FREE 155 gallon bow front tank. After having a 26 gallon bow-front tank and trying to shoot pictures through it I'm totally frustrated because the bow makes focusing nearly impossible. I'm putting the 155 in a wall and thinking about putting it in backwards so the flat part faces the main room and the bow will face the storage room. I'm convincing myself that it would be nice to place the rock and corals and stuff along the back bow and look nice. Is there a reason I shouldn't do this? It sounds crazy, right? Would it look stupid? Any and all reasons NOT to do it would be very much appreciated because I don't want to move this thing around any more than I have to!

Catherine

That actually sounds pretty cool to me, only since you'll be putting it "in wall." I wouldn't think that there would be anything potentially wrong. However, are you going to be setting up a sump? Drilling the tank or adding a HOB overflow seems to me like it would be a custom job. That is, if you would place the overflows in the back, you could always do them in the front corners on the sides maybe...... MAYBE.

In any case, CONGRATS! ON THE FREE TANK! :bounce:

Yeah Cathrine, the big problem is that it is a bow FRONT tank:mrgreen:

Sounds like a good idea actually, should add some depth to the rock work. But like sniffles said, adding an overflow might not be the easiest of things

I think that's a great idea. It will make a lot more space if you aquascape in a U pattern instead of a I.

The only thing I can think of is that you will probably need a custom stand, since any stand that you buy or that comes with it will have the doors on the bow side. If this side is accessible, then it probably won't be a problem.

Congrats on the tank. It's BIG. :)
I think if done in the right way it could be really cool. The other thing to consider is the lighting application. Does it have a canopy that would have to be redesigned along with the stand? You might just have to use it as is and take you pictures from the sides.

Wow, glad I posted I didn't even think about the lights, overflow or stand. Since I'm putting it in the wall and it's a load bearing wall, I'll have to have a real builder type guy to do it (put in the brace thing right), I can get him to make me a cabinet. I think the lighting will be fine too. I know it will be more to the front and a bit further from the corals and "stuff" in the tank but it will be for horses and softies, efficiency in lighting isn't critical. The overflow is something to think about. Hmmmmmm...... Overflow box, the kind that hangs? Maybe?

Thanks so much,

Catherine

a regular overflow should fit fine, I wouldn't do a hang on overflow they tend to have issues often. As far as the stand goes If you already have one it doesn't matter that it will be turned around because you are building it into the wall.

The light won't matter it would sit the same on your tank either way (with the tank being built in) you can hang the light from inside the wall.

I think this is a great idea!

Back