Question about tank selection - bow front rimless?

AlexD24

Reefing newb
I went to the pet store today to get an idea of what different tank sizes looked like in person, and I've settled on one of two different sizes

70g tall - 36x18x24

or

75g tall - 48x18x21

I have a few questions..

1) Anyone have a particular preference? I'm guessing most will suggest I go with the bigger tank. Are there any major advantages to the 48" tank over the 36" in terms of what kind of fish I can put in it??

2) I like the look of bow-front tanks. Are there any disadvantages to these?

3) Do they make bowfront, rimless tanks?

Thanks

I would do the 75g in those 2 options.
Yes for fish.

I have a bowfront and it can be a pain to aquascape and to clean glass. The glass cleaners are square and you have to hit the curved glass several different ways to get it clean. I would not do a bowfront again just with that.
Make sure it is reef ready. Do not buy a standard tank, you will kick yourself for it.
I don't believe they make a rimless bowfront but that is just a guess.

I would do the 75g in those 2 options.
Yes for fish.

I have a bowfront and it can be a pain to aquascape and to clean glass. The glass cleaners are square and you have to hit the curved glass several different ways to get it clean. I would not do a bowfront again just with that.
Make sure it is reef ready. Do not buy a standard tank, you will kick yourself for it.
I don't believe they make a rimless bowfront but that is just a guess.

That's good to know! Also, what makes it a reef ready tank?

I don't believe they make a 75g bow front on the first picture. I would not buy a tank ever used for fresh water because they use copper to treat fish. Not good in a reef tank.

The second 72g is reef ready. It means that there is an overflow drilled inside the tank. We use another tank below to run all our skimmers and pumps and heaters out of site of the eyes and add volume of water. The price is a little high, I would go at 300 no more than 400. Your choice on if you want the light or not. I would talk him down on the lights, 3 month old bulbs.... i would change them out every 9 months @130 bucks for all 4. It's a good light just replacing t5's all the time gets pricey.

Cool - I'll probably wait since I'm in no rush to start buying things. Given what you said, I'm a little weary about the bow front now..but they just look so damn cool.

Back