brain corals v. fish....

tankedchemist

Reef enthusiast
situation #1: So, I have a large wellsophylla open brain, which I had to give to my mother because it stayed shriveled up for too long. In her tank, it opened up and did very well. Now, it's back in my tank and all shriveled again.... and I see my sailfin periodically pick at it, as if looking for food. I've replaced all my lights, and water params are spot on. So, I'm pretty sure that the sailfin is driving the brain to shrivel up. What do I do?

situation #2: My mother has a small open brain (also a wellso, I think), and one of her clowns is hosting it. She's worried it will kill the coral (as he did with the torch she had)... should she be worried? If it is a problem, how to fix it?

Get a net.
Swat the sailfin every time it goes near the brain.
Fish are trainable, it just takes time and persistence.

When I had the 30g high tank, Nemo decided to take up residence in my acans. He wasn't picking at them, but he was hosting. It was causing the acans to shrivel up.

I spent about a week terrorizing Nemo with a net every time he started to host in the acans. He eventually gave up and took up residence in some lime green palythoas. The palys didn't seam to mind at all.

Strange that a sailfin would pick on a brain.Do you think it is getting enough to eat?Does it eat off a veggie clip or seaweed tied to a rock?Give it a try,if not.

I had clowns host open brains before.No harm whatsoever

I have an open brain and my Blenny loves to lie on it as well as my mushrooms. Havent had any issues. It swells like a mother in the light and shrivels at night. Its pretty cool.

Back