Brand new 20 Gal

I have several of those brown coral like plants. If they are bad for my tank I will remove them yesterday but they look nice. Are they really a problem? And if so how?

Aiptasia

1-(EXCERT FROM BAENSCH MARINE ATLAS VOLUME 1) follows;

Rock Anemones - There are pronounced pests among the anthozoans. The rock anemones of the genus Aiptasia can - once introdued with live rock - multiply rapidly in a reef tank. Their potent toxin injures other anthozoans. Large rock anemones can also be a threat to smaller fishes. Mechanical control of these animals is practically impossible. If they are smashed, countless new polyps develop. Only chemical and biological controls remain as options. You can kill aiptasids by injecting a small quantity of hydrochloric acid into the body of the polyp using a hypodermic needle. A few drops are sufficient. These small quantities do not affect the buffering capacity of the aquarium water. The disposable syringe and the 30% hydrochloric acid can be purchased in a drug store. However, when trying to control heavy infestations, this method turns quite laborious and cumbersome. Using fishes to biologically control them would be easier. There are a few butterflyfishes which devour rock anemones with a pleasure (e.g., Chelmon rostratus, Chaetodon kleinii and Ch. lunula). In one or two weeks one Chaetodon can totally free even a heavily infested aquarium. Unfortunately, there is a reason why this idea was intorduced conditionally. The import of these fishes is forbidden in some countries. This method to control aiptasids is only available to our foriegn friends. The only alternative open to hobbyists that cannot import the fish is Chemical control. Feed artemia and Brachionus sparingly as soon as rock anemones begin to multiply heavily. By the way, rock anemones multiply significantly faster in poor water (high nitrate and phosphate concentrations) versus clean water. Good water quality is a control measure against unwanted parasites.

2-(EXCERTS FROM THE REEF AQUARIUM BY DELBEEK/SPRUNG) follows;

Preditor of aiptasia juviniles/ not sure about larger animals - Dancing or Peppermint shrimp (Rhynchocinetidae). Although they can be utilized to eat juvenile aiptasia animones they will not restrict their diets to just this one food item and will eventually attack other cndarians. Note: though they have similar appearance and the same common name, do not confuse this species with lysmata wurdemanni, a cleaning shrimp which does not feed on cnidarians.

Small anemones belonging to the genus Aiptasia can be a real problem in some reef aquariums. If these small anemones are allowed to grow on tridacnid clams, they can reach underneath the mantle and sting the clam. This will result in the mantle pulling away and the clam will eventually die.

HOPE THIS HELPS SOME WHAT. YOU MAY WANT TO GET A SECOND OPINION ON JUST WHAT THE ANIMAL IS AS THE PICTURE IS NOT QUITE FOCUSED. ANYWAY THIS IS MY TWO CENTS. THERE ARE LIQUIDS ON THE MARKET FOR DEALING WITH THIS ANEMONE. CHECK OUT MARINE DEPOT, DRS FOSTER AND SMITH, OR ANY OTHER LARGE OUT LET YOU WILL FIND SOMETHING THERE. OR JUST MIX UP A SMALL STRONG MIXTURE OF KALK AND INJECT THAT. GOOD LUCK.

Ok I will try to get a new pic of it uploaded tonight.

What is Kalk?
Where do I get a syringe. I don't happen to have one lying around the house.
Thanks

I took some more pics of the items in question. Here we go

DSCF00891.JPG

DSCF0091.JPG

DSCF0090.JPG

Does everyone agree that these are bad and should be removed using either kalk (Which I still don't know what it is) or acid.

Well if its the only 1 I say get rid of it before it become a hazard. Do a search on what they said it was called and look for pictures of it. That way you have some comparison to look at.

I personally believe 1 aiptaisia in new tank is not that bad, but as you feed it will grow then multiply.BAD.If want to remove it you can try some Joe's Juice. The problem is when you try to inject it they will retract. Give a little brine shrimp or some thing else to eat and it wont retract. The inject away. Last meal HaHa.Once you make the decision live or die. Then you can think about what to add. Are checking you levels. This not much different for now than the fresh you are used to. Ammonia spikes than nitrite next nitrate rise. If the first two are zeroed out then add a few snails and hermits. Looking at your aqua scaping you should be able remove a damsel or two when you’re ready for some new fish. For fish you could do a pair of clowns. Maybe just one clown. A six line wrasse very cool small fish, and some type of gobies or a shrimp. But do not add all at once. My 29 gal currently has two types of small clowns, a six line wrasse, a small coral beauty, and a small yellow tang. My second one fist one out grew his home.

Last edited:
MINIREEFER (JASEN) WICH EVER HE PREFERS HAS VERY GOOD ADVISE i GOT THE SAME ADVISE ABOUT A WEEK AGO AND THE APTASIA IS GONE IVE SEEN ALOT OF TANKS WITH THIS STUFF ONCE STARTS TO SPREAD DOSENT LOOK TO ATTRACTIVE IF I WERE YOU I WOULD STUFF AND STICK AS SOON AS YOU GET THE CHANCE .BUT THATS JUST ONE OPINION. :helm2:

one thing I was wondering about is what gets rid of the nitrates in a saltwater reef tank? In freshwater it is the plants and water changes but you don't do enough water changes in a saltwater to do that. So what gets rid of the nitrates?

Another thing I was wondering about in addition to the nitrate question above. What can you add to a tank to sift/stir the crushed coral? And also what eats algae in the saltwater world? Mostly brown algae right now but I am sure I will have other kinds as my tank ages.

In order to give you an answer to your questions that are meaningful you will need to have a basis of understanding as to why we do what we do. in order to get that i recommend you read the helpful articles from the oldest to the newest and then see if your questions are not answered. if not we will try and help. nitrates are dissipated with water changes, special filter medium, and controlling the amount of food that enters the system, and water makeup and changes with water lacking nitrates, or phosphates, or silicates. hope this helps. (do 10 to 15% water change weekly with seasoned makeup salt water). if that does not do it add a protien skimmer. it will help.

Here are some new pics of the tank. Can anyone ID them for me? And no I don't need the peppermint shrimp or the clownfish ID. LOL

DSCF0087_760544.JPG

The red stuff is what i was wondering what it is.

DSCF0086.JPG

The bright green thing.

DSCF0085_56737.JPG

My peppermint shrimp

DSCF0084_418338.JPG

My little clownfish.

DSCF0083.JPG

The white thing it has like 6 sections sticking out of it.

DSCF0082_870875.JPG

I think it is some kind of button but I am not sure.

DSCF0081_632383.JPG

The red fuzzy thing.

Any help IDing any/all of these would be of great help. I have been reading the helpful articles. About the diatoms and alike, and I think I have a grasp on it now thanks.

Last edited:
Also the tank has been running for about 2 weeks now the clownfish and peppermint shrimp were added last tuesday and my tests since then have all be exactly the same as they were before adding anything to the tank.

Ammo 0
Nitite 0
Nitrate 0
PH 8.2
Salinity 1.022

I have not seen any increase in anything apart from the Diatoms which is normal. I cleaned the glass today with the sponge rinse method and I was going to try to syphon the crushed coral tomorrow and do about a 2-3 Gal water change.

Sounds like things are going well for you.

the one picture of the little white thing, second from the bottom is a feather duster.

Some of the others I have my opinions, but so hard to tell from the pics I would hate to leed you in the wrong direction.

Brandon

What are your opinions on the others? I would take any help at this point even if you think you are wrong. I will take what you have to say and research it :)

like i said its hard to make out some of the pictures.

but hear goes......

The first picture.
Could be A darker shade of Coralline Algea Different colors grow in areas depending on light, water flow, etc.
Does it look spongy? It could also be a sponge.

The Second picture.
is it flat and crusty looking? if so potentially Green coralline again.
Is it hairy? probably a type of hair algea.
Also look at some of the different types of Macro Algea.

The six white things you asked about is real hard to make out... does it look like hollow tubes? if so they are probably made by a type of feather worm similiar to a feather duster and are a good thing no need to worry.

The last picture looks like a type of sponge.

hope that helps......

You might want to read about cyno bacteria....... and see if any of the red stuff on the rocks matches the that, as that could be a problem..

If you can get better pics or can better describe the actual item in question i might can be of more assisance.

Brandon

I think Brandon is right on the money here.The is most likly some kind of cryno bateria.Protein skimmer will help with the water quality to get rid of it.Also you can use a turkey baster and suck it out.also I think its some kind of feather dustor aswell

I found something on the bottom of one of the rocks today while i was doing some cleaning. It looks like white fuzz around a dark brown center and there are several of these clumped together. I tried to get a photo but couldn't does this sound like anything anyone is familiar with?

Back